Some years ago, I reviewed Raum Kingdom’s first album, Everything & Nothing, which really impressed and made me want to see what else was out there in terms of sludgy post-metal. As part of my ongoing metal education, I have listened to many bands that would fall under the label of post-metal, even some out there on the far fringes of the genre. Somewhere along the spectrum of accessibility sits Raum Kingdom, a band whose abrasive sound and inherent bleakness makes me want to jump out of my skin, and their second album, Monarch, truly brings that to fruition.Continue reading
CANTO: Raum Kingdom, Tribunal, Grymmstalt, and More
There are busy, but fun, days ahead! The metal news, however, is light and notably less fun this time of year.
- Vancouver-based gothic/orchestral doom duo Tribunal are releasing their debut LP, The Weight Of Remembrance, on January 20 through 20 Buck Spin. Give “Without Answer” a listen and watch here.
- Chilean and Ecuadorian black metal project Grymmstalt are streaming the entirety of their debut, Anthems of Mournful Despondency, over at the Transmissions From the Dark YouTube channel. The album officially drops tomorrow, the 21st, through Signal Rex.
- Agonia Records added a new name to their roster. Hiems, the solo avant-garde black metal project, has officially signed on and has finished work on a third studio album, the first since 2009. We’ll keep an eye out for more album details and specifics as they emerge.
- Closing out, we have Raum Kingdom. The Irish post/sludge metallers are releasing Monarch on January 27 through Argonauta Records, and today they unveiled “Red Admiral”. The videoclip for the first single from that upcoming new album can be seen below. Enjoy.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
CANTO: Naut, Blindead 23, Mourn The Light, and More
Happy American Thanksgiving eve… still a holiday I’m apathetic towards!
- Leather is releasing a new studio album this coming Friday, titled We Are the Chosen. That will be available through Steamhammer/SPV, and a video for the title-track emerged today, which you can view here.
- Blindead 23, a new project forming from the remnants of Blindead, featuring current and former members of Behemoth, Vader, Katatonia, and more, revealed a new track titled “Towards The Dark”. That’s streaming over at Metal Injection, so go check it out.
- New England-based heavy doom crew Mourn The Light are releasing a new EP titled Stare Into the Face of Death this coming Friday through Argonauta Records. So it’s coming at us fast, which rules. Give “The Hunt” a listen here, the first track from that collection.
- Sure, we can slide some post punk into the mix today. Naut is releasing a brand new album on February 24 titled Hunt, their debut with Season of Mist. Check out the first single, “Unity of Opposites”, immediately below.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Album Review: Void Cruiser — “Call of the Void”
When listening to the opening track “Dragon’s Tail” on Void Cruiser’s third album Call of the Void, two questions came to mind. The first is if this band was from Southern California? No, they’re from Finland. The second question is this a reissue of an album released in the mid 90s? The answer is also no. For some reason, Void Cruiser made an album that’s a throwback to 90s alt stadium rock. It’s not an unpleasant album but it is an unsurprising listen.Continue reading
CANTO: Monster Magnet, Judicator, Black Cross Hotel, and More
I’m back, and slowly getting caught up in life.
- I like Monster Magnet, so let’s start there. The psychedelic/stoner rock legends are releasing Test Patterns: Vol.1 on November 11th through God Unknown Records. This 12″ will feature “Tab” as recorded on the original 1988 demo and 1989’s Forget About Life, I’m High On Dope, as well as a 2021 rerecording. Pretty cool. More please.
- Judicator revealed another new track, titled “Ursa Major”, over at Decibel. That’s the latest from The Majesty of Decay, which drops on November 25th through Prosthetic. The response to “The High Priestess” was… mixed, so I’m curious what the reactions are to this one.
- More stuff coming November 25th. Italy’s Extirpation have set that as the release date for The Endless Storm, which will be out through Chaos Records. Hear the new single, “Electrocution Strikes”, over at the label’s Bandcamp. If you’re looking for some more black thrash in your life, this is one to keep an eye on.
- Black Cross Hotel, the punk/industrial/horror metal collective featuring members of Stabbing Westward, The Atlas Moth, and more are releasing Hex on November 11th. Find preorders over at their Bandcamp, and give “Shape” a listen.
- And we’ll close with some instrumental progressive metal out of Paris. Check out the clip for “The Abstract” from Oaks below. That track is taken from Genesis of the Abstract, which is out now through Argonauta Records.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”