If you’ve been missing the weeks of double digit releases to dig into, the metal gods have shined upon you. Too bad release date didn’t come earlier in the week when those of us on the east coast were getting hammered with snow and needed a mountain of music to use as a warm blanket. But, it’s here now and leading us off is Poland’s Labyrinth Entrance with their black metal, by way of doom and heavy metal, debut Monumental Bitterness, Druid Lord offer up their horrifically eerie death / doom mixture on Grotesque Offerings, Mammüth scratch that Mastodon / COC / sludgy, stoner metal vibe on their second full length Outlander and Texas based Witchcryer gloriously throwback to the days of classic doom and heavy rock on Cry Witch. And with that, it’s been a strong start to this week’s offerings but like I said before, new albums are bountiful so hang in there. We’ve much to explore.
1/19/2018. Friday. Thank Satan.
- Hey! We get a new Between The Buried And Me song today! It’s called “Condemned To The Gallows.”
- Every Time I Die is going to be opening up for Fall Out Boy on some select dates later this year. Also Rise Against. Wut.
- The movie poster for Lords Of Chaos has been revealed. I read the book. I won’t watch the movie. Ok. Maybe I will out of curiosity and annoyance.
- It’s been awhile since The Absence have done a ton. So, here’s a new video for the title track from their upcoming new album called A Gift For The Obsessed. It will be out March 23rd. Enjoy.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Receiving the Evcharist is our weekly feature where we pair choice albums with our favorite libations. Drink from the cup of heresy. This week’s offering: A Congregation of Horns’ Goat Cult and Modern Times Brewing Company’s Black House. Continue reading
I get it. You’re supposed to have fast and slow moments. It’s right there in the name. So please understand I have nothing personal against the touchpoints that signify you as a sub genre of that great and glorious noise we call metal. It’s just that…well, I need both those facets to be interesting within the context of the song. And in the case of Grotesque Offerings, the long awaited full length followup by Druid Lord, while I really dig the “death” (aka the fast and angry bits), the “doom” (aka the tedious boring bits) leave more than a little to be desired. Continue reading
1/18/2018. I think we have some good stuff today.
- At The Gates have completed recording their new album, To Drink From The Night Itself, which will be out on May 18th. Here’s the latest studio recap from a three part series.
- WAKE have announced an upcoming tour with Withered. The run of shows kicks off mid-March and will feature 21 dates across North America.
- And another tour for good measure. Fistula will have embark on a brief run of shows this coming May with Come To Grief. There will be 13 dates covering a good chunk of the US.
- Primordial news! They have a new album coming out! It’s called Exile Amongst The Ruins and will be out March 30th. Here’s a video for the first single called “Stolen Years.”
“Ein Bier… bitte.”