“Unprecedented times.” The phrase we’ve all seen more than we care to in the last nine months. From email greetings to official press briefings, there is ample reminder at every turn that what we as a collective are going through right now is something many people never even imagined. The loss of tangible connections to the communities we had built for ourselves, especially in times that are already turbulent enough on their own, is perhaps the most devastating aspect of having to shelter in place in the middle of a pandemic, and musicians, for whom community is both their raison d’etre and their livelihoods, have been feeling this loss harder than many other people have. Yet in our strange age where physical presence is a danger, we are more connected to each other than ever before through our technology, allowing many to find the kinship they seek and a shared purpose to keep their artistic visions alive. Thus, did A.L.N. and Andrew Black, founder and live bassist for Portland, OR’s Mizmor respectively, share a vision for an album created by and for our unprecedented times, a colossal ambient work called Dialetheia.Continue reading
It’s getting nice and dark out there these nice. Grimmmmmm, if you will.
- Pessimist have signed on to a new deal with Season of Mist. While currently working a new full-length album, it was also announced that the label will be releasing their earlier work in the coming months. Dope.
- Avatar have announced a 4-part concert series, which will take place this coming January. It starts on January 9th with a performance of Hunter Gatherer in full. Read up on everything that’s to come here.
- Heretical Sect is streaming a new track over at Metal Injection called “Baptismal Rot and Ash” and it is vicious. Rapturous Flesh Consumed is out on December 11th through Gilead Media. Snag it here.
- Let’s close with some Polish black metal. This is the new video for “Dirty Yields” from Kalt Vindur. …And Nothing is Endless dropped back in August, in case you missed that one.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Receiving the Evcharist is our weekly feature where we pair choice albums with our favorite libations. Drink from the cup of heresy. This week’s offering: MSW’s Obliviosus and Indie Brewing Company’s O’Malley’s Irish Stout.
Everything is weird but at least Fall has arrived!
- Heretical Sect have released a new single, “Rising Light of Lunacy”, with the announcement of a new album. Rapturous Flesh Consumed will be out on December 11th through Gilead Media.
- PG.Lost, the post metal project featuring former members of Ghost and current members of Cult of Luna, have announced a new album scheduled for a November 20th release through Pelagic Records. It will be titled Oscillate, and you can check out the first single, “E22”, right now.
- Harlott is dropping their new album, Detritus of the Final Age, on November 13th through Metal Blade Records. Check out “As We Breach” right now to get an idea of what’s to come.
- And we’ll close with some death metal because that’s about what I need right now. Here is Demonical with their new video for “My Kingdom Done”. World Domination drop on October 23rd through Agonia Records.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Receiving the Evcharist is our weekly feature where we pair choice albums with our favorite libations. Drink from the cup of heresy. This week’s offering: Inexorum’s Moonlit Navigation and LA Ale Works’ Dead Cowboy. Continue reading