Some of you reading this might be surprised to see the name Xasthur gracing the halls of our strictly no-metal-allowed column (even though that’s been…kinda not true, but still). While the project might be best known for their lo-fi black metal albums from the late 90’s and early 2000’s, in the recent years, the project that was once called finished in 2010 has been reborn as a dark-folk, doomgrass experience, and in the intervening years it is quite fair to say that a lot has happened. Victims of the Times tells the stories of this gap period.Continue reading
It’s been raining the last couple of days, and I definitely don’t hate it.
- Shadows Fall have announced their return to the stage. On December 18th they’ll be taking the Palladium stage in Worcester, MA with the likes of Unearth, Darkest Hour, Within The Ruins, Sworn Enemy, and Carnivora. A trailer for the event can be seen here, and tickets go on sale later this week. Those can be found at this location.
- Los Angeles extreme metal collective Teeth have announced a new full-length effort. Finite is set for a November 26th release through Translation Loss Records, and pre-order/pre-save options are available here. Better yet, a new track titled “Concubine” is available for your streaming pleasure right now.
- Unreqvited have unveiled the second single from Beautiful Ghosts. This one is titled “Funeral Pyre”, and is available here. A quick reminder that Beautiful Ghosts drops on August 13th through Prophecy Productions, and you can pick that up right here.
- And we’ll close with some progressive death metal out of Brazil. This is the new music video from Abstracted for “Wither To Dust”. That one is taken from their debut full-length, Atma Conflux, which drops sometime later this year through M-Theory Audio. More details coming soon.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
I don’t even know where to begin with today’s updates!
- Yes I do. It’s Deafheaven. All the details we were looking for regarding a new album are with us now. Infinite Granite will be out on August 20th through Sargent House, and can be pre-ordered here. Better yet, you can check out the first new track from that album, “Great Mass of Color”, through either YouTube or Bandcamp.
- And then we’ll slide into a tour announcement. John 5 will be cruising through the U.S. this coming August and September with Jared James Nichols, Sarah Longfield, and Black Satellite. Tickets are on sale now, and can be scooped up here.
- I’ve heard a lot of good things about the new Dornenreich album, Du wilde Liebe sei, but I haven’t checked anything out myself yet. That will change today with the release of “Das Sehnen von Mond und Sonne”, available for streaming here. That album is out this coming Friday through Prophecy.
- And we’ll close with the new video from Behemoth, a band I don’t mention nearly as much as I used to. It’s for “Shadows Ov Ea Cast Upon Golgotha”, which is taken from last year’s EP, A Forest. Check it out below.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Summer is approaching, which means summoning black metal to the front of my listening queue once again. However, I have decided to opt for something a little calmer than the usual screeching and atmosphere of what I usually go for, and that means softer strains of black metal to start. Now, imagine my surprise when I heard that, after seven long years, Dornenreich were returning with their ninth full-length release, Du wilde Liebe sei (“You, wild love, be”), and I was ecstatic. One of neofolk’s long-standing stalwarts, Dornenreich is a band that oozes both mystery and practicality in their music, and that combination pulls the listener in, showing them the sensuality of neofolk.Continue reading
The announcements today are… substantial.
- Unreqvited are releasing a new album on August 13th through Prophecy Productions titled Beautiful Ghosts, which is basically the most Unreqvited album name ever. You can pre-order it here, and check out the first single off that album, “Autumn & Everley”, right here.
- Ok, so it was a big day for Prophecy, with Lantlos also making an album announcement. Wildhund will be out on July 30th, so we won’t need to wait quite as long for that one. And of course, these announcements usually come with new tunes, so here’s the impressive new video for “Lake Fantasy”.
- Remember that epic tour scheduled for last year that featured the likes of Megadeth, In Flames, Lamb of God, and Trivium? Well, those dates have been rescheduled to this August and September. This tour would be a monstrous way to welcome concerts back in 2021, so fingers crossed it all works out. Tickets go on sale Friday.
- The debut album from Silver Lake (Esa Holopainen), drops on May 28th through Nuclear Blast. Check out the second trailer for that album here, which includes discussion about the guest appearances on the self-titled debut. Trust me, it’s worth the five minutes of your time.
- Lastly, and definitely most importantly (to me), is the news from Amenra. Their next full-length, De Doorn, is set for a June 25th release through Relapse Records. Pre-order it here, but just a heads up that a lot of the good stuff is sold out already (I helped that cause). This also came with a new track and video, “De Evenmens”. Needless to say, it is incredible on every front. Enjoy.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”