Life is sparking again, live shows are popping off left and right, and every week of new metal releases has many something’s for everyone. Things are looking up in those regards, so rejoice…or hail Satan. Or whatever you do these days. This week in new metal uncovers the newest ritual from Amenra, a return to holistically bleak beginnings from Withered, a slappin’ slab of death metal from The Absence, wicked ugly death metal from Cerebral Rot, and the next black/doom/punk chapter from Darkthrone. Oh, you noticed? Yes, there’s five up top and could’ve easily been more but in the context of getting you to the rest of what lies below, I chopped it at cinco. Plenty here for everyone, so go and fire up these band’s bank accounts, pronto. Support what you love with ferocity and sing its praises loud even if no one cares. You do, and that’s all that matters.Continue reading
At least the snow is pretty today.
- Remember when Gatecreeper released that awesome surprise EP, An Unexpected Reality, a couple weeks ago? Well, their big start to the year just got even bigger as they announced a new deal with Nuclear Blast Records. Does that mean we can have a full-length soon?
- Darkthrone is celebrating the 30th anniversary of Soulside Journey with an incredible new boxset, which they’re calling Shadows Of Iconoclasm. That will be out on April 2nd through Peaceville Records, and can be pre-ordered here. Definitely read up on it, because there is a ton included in that package.
- Harakiri for the Sky released another new one from Mӕre today. This one is called “Song to Say Goodbye”, which is a Placebo cover. Casual reminder that Mӕre is out February 19th through AOP Records and can be scooped up here.
- We’re going to wrap up the day (and possibly the week, at least personally) with a new one from Årabrot. This is the first track taken from the recently announced new album, Norwegian Gothic. That drops on April 9th through Pelagic Records. “The Lie” is available for your streaming pleasure below.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
All kinds of fun things to share before the weekend!
- Starting with Dark Tranquillity, who have a new album out on November 20th through Century Media titled Moments. Pre-orders are available here, as well as a new track called “Phantom Days”.
- Katatonia have announced a new live album as well, titled Dead Air. This is a physical release of their livestream performance from earlier in the year. It will be out through Peaceville Records on November 13th, and can be pre-ordered here.
- Mastodon released a collection of rare tracks digitally for the first time today, known as Medium Rarities. Here’s the link to scoop that up. As a bonus, it includes a brand new song as well, titled “Fallen Torches”.
- Looks like Hatebreed are dropping their first album in a minute. Weight of the False Self will be out on November 27th through Nuclear Blast. A lyric video for the title-track can be viewed immediately below. Pre-order it here, if you’re feeling it.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
A thing I generally like and get excited about is Katatonia. So, the news that the band would be releasing a new full-length, titled City Burials, was a pretty welcome development in Dan-land.
However, a thing I don’t generally like or get excited about is writing album reviews. So how, then, to celebrate and dissect the arrival of said new Katatonia album?
Welp, I made a video.
Today was a big day. Tomorrow will be an even bigger day.
- Stop EVERYTHING. Katatonia revealed stuff today. City Burials, the next album from the somber metal legends, will be out on April 24th through Peaceville Records. Check out the first single, titled “Lacquer”, right now.
- Let’s use this opportunity to remind everyone of the upcoming Lord Dying tour with Obituary and Black Label Society, and also introduce this new video for “Freed From The Pressures Of Time”. That track is from last year’s Mysterium Tremendum.
- I think we are all aware of the upcoming Napalm Death tour this spring, but today I’m happy to share that Tombs will be joining them. That’s gonna be a beast of a lineup, not gonna lie.
- Here’s a new music video from Anvil for “Legal At Last”, the title track from their upcoming album which will be out February 14th on AFM Records. Enjoy.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”