Welcome to another edition of our Saturday morning mixtape. This week, Chris is on a hardcore kick, Josh gives you a classic Josh pairing of country and death metal (not in the same song mind you), and I’ve got hip-hop on my mind. Check it all out below.
“To truly understand the essence of antiquity, learn the lore of the land. Become the atavist. Embark on a journey through the aeons of time.”
- The Ocean have unveiled new details behind the release of Phanerozoic II: Mesozoic | Cenozoic, which will be out on September 25th through Metal Blade and Pelagic Records. You can also listen to a new track, titled “Jurassic | Cretaceous”, and this may come as a surprise, but it’s really friggin’ good.
- Emma Ruth Rundle dropped a new track today called “Staying Power”. This one was actually recorded during the On Dark Horses sessions, but wasn’t released until now. It can be purchased at this location, if you feel so inclined.
- Saor has announced reissues of Roots and Aura through Season of Mist. The release dates are scheduled for August 21st and September 11th, respectively. They can be pre-ordered now at this location.
- And we will close with this new video from Psycroptic for “Beyond The Black”. That one is taken from the 2018 album, As The Kingdom Drowns, available through Prosthetic Records.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
A couple long days in the books. A couple long days until mountains.
- Yo, check out this lineup for UK Tech-Fest. The Ocean, Black Crown Initiate, Fit For An Autopsy… There is zero chance of me making this festival (July 2nd – 6th), but if I could I absolutely would.
- Hatebreed have announced a headlining 2020 tour here in the U.S. The dates are in May and support is in the form of After The Burial, Havok, and Creeping Death. Tickets can be found here this Friday.
- One more tour for today. Whitechapel have announced the Burn To Emerge U.S. tour this coming May and June. Support on that one will be from As I Lay Dying and Shadow Of Intent. I will 100% NOT be attending this one.
- Green Carnation have revealed new album details. It’s been 14 years since the last album, but May 8th will bring us Leaves of Yesteryear through Season of Mist. You can check out the title-track right now.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
It’s been a while (9/19) since I have written something for the column, but real life sucks; between grad school and putting my body through the wringer, priorities shifted and this kept getting pushed back. However, this hasn’t stopped me from listening to music and writing about other things, so we are going to continue the addenda. There are five genres left and then we can finally move on to other genres and whatever else I want to write about, because after two more genres, we might be going into no man’s land.
Also, when this gets published, it might be the new year, so Happy New Year, everyone! Continue reading
There is a reasonable chance this is my last full working week of 2019. Whoa.
- A total ICYMI moment, Dethklok performed live for the first time in five years at this past weekend’s Adult Swim Fest out in LA. Here is some footage if you’re interested.
- Hey you guys, Mötley Crüe is back. Remember back in 2015 when they signed a cessation of touring agreement? To be honest, I 100% do not. But apparently it didn’t matter anyway! Moving on…
- Hey you guy’s again, The Ocean are almost ready to drop Phanerozoic II. You know what this means right? MOAR FOSSILS. It sounds like it should be out sometime next year and I couldn’t be more excited.
- Kataklysm dropped a new lyric video for “The Last Breath I’ll Take Is Yours”. That track is from 2018’s Meditations and this video was released in anticipation of their upcoming tour dates in Europe.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”