Busy week around these parts but at least it was good and a little warmer. Almost got spring fever but who am I kidding? Cold is coming back, blah. Must enjoy it while it’s here and speaking of enjoyment, we’ve got plenty of it in this edition of Initial Descent. Starting things off is Down Below from Tribulation which has absolutely consumed me and just when I thought their brand of black tinged goth inspired metal / rock couldn’t get any better it did and impressively so. Next up is Australia’s ultra experimental death metal band Portal with their latest mind bender Ion, Abyssal Vacuum gives us three songs of extremely complex yet fully hypnotic black metal on MMXVII and Somali Yacht Club (love that name!) create an album’s worth of pure escape and bliss on The Sea, seriously, this band knows how to milk atmosphere and stretch out melodies. GREAT start but as usual we have so much more to explore so get comfy, grab a drink and hang with us for a while. Continue reading
1/9/2018. Posting these late today because I almost forgot. Oops.
- Century Media turned 30. To celebrate, you can hop on over to their store and buy some sick 30th anniversary swag. If you’re into that.
- Accuser have released a new lyric video for “Time For Silence” ahead of the release of The Mastery, which drops on January 26th.
- Iron Reagan and Gatecreeper are releasing a split on March 2nd. Even better news? You can hear a new song from each in the preceding links.
- White Wizzard have also released a new lyric video for “Infernal Overdrive”. Check it out below. The new album drops Friday, January 12th, and these guys will be hitting the road basically now. So, ya know, timing and stuff.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
What to do if you’re a well-established black metal act (let’s pretend there is such a thing), having garnered a significant amount of praise for your early work, getting signed to a major metal label, and then releasing something that attempts to expand the sonic palate you’ve established but doesn’t get the same notice or acclaim as those earlier records? If you’re Watain, you regroup, wait five years, then return to the sound you had eight years ago and launch the blistering black attack of Trident Wolf Eclipse. Continue reading
10/4/2017. It’s super nice outside.
- The Black Dahlia Murder have dropped a new single, “Kings of the Nightworld”, as a preview from their upcoming Nightbringers. They’ll be on the road Friday, aligning with the release of said new album.
- Another new song. This one is from Dr. Living Dead! Cosmic Conqueror will be out October 27th via Century Media, but you can check out the title track now.
- Farewell Papa Emeritus III, enter Papa Emeritus Zero. Apparently. We’ll figure out what Ghost/Tobias Forge are up to eventually I’m sure.
- Body Count has released a new music video for “This Is Why We Ride.” Check it.
They will be performing at the Loudwire Music Awards on October 24th.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Their history reads like a bad fantasy novel: Out of the ashes of the Beastmilk arise the Grave Pleasures. It’s a 3rd level wizard spell in Dungeons & Dragons, but it’s also the reality as the former Beastmilk release their second album as Grave Pleasures. The name may change but the sound remains the same: hook-laden hard rock heavily dosed with goth that slithers and worms its way into your brain. That Motherblood does so better than any of their previous releases in either incarnation is no surprise when you dig deeper. Continue reading