“They spoke of the loneliest shadow, a thousand year old enemy. When man bowed for souls of the new world, a thousand year old legacy.”
- Osi and the Jupiter have announced that July 31st will be the release date of the new Appalachia EP through Eisenwald. Needless to say, this is one I will be picking up… and FITM nostalgia is only, like, 10% of the reason.
- Carach Angren have released their third new single from their upcoming album, Franckensteina Strataemontanus, which drops on June 26th through Season of Mist. Check out “Operation Compass” right here.
- We’ll close with a couple new videos, because that just sounds fun. The first is from Within Temptation, for a new track called “Entertain You”. You can check that out here. Side note, you should be happy that I didn’t work a pun into this bit of news.
- And finally, a new lyric video from Green Carnation for “Sentinels”. In case you haven’t checked out Leaves of Yesteryear yet, it’s very good. And it’s out now through Season of Mist.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Creatively captivating black/doom duo hailing from Basel, Switzerland, Ashtar, has returned after five years with their sophomore album Kaikuja. The band has been in the studio since the summer of 2019 developing their sound and creating this darkly impressive work of art. The rich and idiosyncratic tracks of this album are layered with intricacies giving each listen new discoveries and appreciation. Continue reading
There are more pending vinyl orders that I’m waiting to be delivered than I can keep track of. Good problems to have, as it were.
- Fellwarden, a black metal project featuring members of Fen, have revealed the first track from their upcoming second album, Wreathed in Mourncloud, set for a June 26th release through Eisenwald. Check out “An Elder Reckoning” now, and get excited about one of the releases I’m anticipating most in 2020.
- This acoustic clip of Cave In performing “Shake My Blood” over at Revolver is definitely worth watching. This footage was taken at LA’s Laurel Canyon, and brings an entirely new element to this track. Cool stuff.
- In case you weren’t aware, Psychostick has been performing live shows every Thursday for the past couple of months as a way to raise some bucks to help fight the impact of COVID-19. And after tomorrow’s concert, they expect to surpass the $10,000.00 mark, which is awesome.
- It seems like we were only just talking about Unsettling Whispers here at Nine Circles, but Gaerea have already announced their next album, Limbo, will be out on July 24th through Season of Mist. Check out the first single, “Null”, right now.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Receiving the Evcharist is our weekly feature where we pair choice albums with our favorite libations. Drink from the cup of heresy. This week’s offering: Velnias’ Scion of Aether and Boomtown Brewery’s Mic-Czech. Continue reading
These weird times are only getting weirder.
- Green Carnation has announced that the album release show for Leaves of Yesteryear will be streamed for all to see on May 23rd. No audience members will be present, and yes, that is a result of the current pandemic.
- What was once Children of Bodom, is now Bodom After Midnight. Yes, the new project from Alexi Laiho and Daniel Freyberg is a CoB spin-off in name. I get it, legally the name had to change and this allows them to maintain branding. I’ll be looking toward to hearing new material, out of curiosity as much as anything.
- What’s happening in Italy right now is beyond belief. That being said, I have fully enjoyed seeing clips of residents singing from their patios. Even better than that? This dude jamming Slayer’s “Raining Blood.”
- German black metal crew Krater have dropped a new music video for “Prayer for Demise”. That track was taken from 2019’s Venenare (Eisenwald). So if you want to close with something dark and grim, you sure got it.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”