So, here we are again, looming into February/March of 2019 already. After I had the pleasure of writing the first run of Into the Grave, I got the chance to do it again for this month. So I had to think: ‘who else do I really want to dig into and talk about?, who else dredges up those metallic memories so deep that their discography causes confliction?’ Then, like a bolt of lightning striking that fabled clock tower in Back To the Future, it came to me: Type O Negative. Continue reading
It would seem that Pernicion come from a long line of no bullshit, balls out, death metal lineage. And on their latest EP Seek What They Sought, the band seek (no pun intended) and destroy. Now, when discussing what constitutes ‘no bullshit’ there’s many different avenues to be considered but the biggest here: this band is no frills, no showboating, no solos and no overdubs. It’s just go in there, roll on it, and record it. Period. And respect to them for pulling it off so damn well. Continue reading
It’s snowing. I’m drinking.
- Quick tour announcement from Yatra to kick things off. The doom metallers out of Maryland will be covering a solid portion of the Midwest-ish with dates throughout March. No dates anywhere near me, but this should be a fun one.
- Inter Arma is a name we haven’t mentioned in awhile. Time to change that! They’ve announced their next LP, titled Sulphur English, will be out April 12th via Relapse Records. Even better news? You guessed it. You can hear a new track RIGHT NOW. It’s called “Citadel”.
- Hey, has anyone seen this Desertfest 2019 lineup yet? Holy crap. I don’t see myself getting to London in three months, but those that can will be treated to Amenra, Om, Skraeckoedlan and many other awesome acts. Jealous.
- Aligning with a European tour announcement, Exumer has released a new video for the title track from their upcoming album, Hostile Defiance, which drops on April 5th. Side note: You seeing these release dates? Lots of April babies in the metal world this year.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Blackgaze can be joyous, although I don’t go looking for it very often. While my tastes tend to go for the atmospheric and off-kilter, I sometimes find something that catches my eye that really makes me want to sit and listen. Whether it’s how the album sounds or how it’s constructed, my brain always tries to fill in the gaps of what makes something tick. In the case of Joyless Euphoria’s Dreaming In Ultraviolet, what made me sit down and take notice was how inherently colorful and joyous it is. Even though the genre it comes from is not known for its levity, this album has something that makes me want to get up and weep in joy. Continue reading
Happy Monday. I had basically half a tooth replaced today, which was fun.
- Let’s start with the obvious and congratulate High On Fire for winning a Grammy last night. Those awards mean absolutely nothing, but at least a metal award went to an actual metal band, and not, like, Tenacious D.
- Updates from Dead To A Dying World are always welcomed. Having joined the Profound Lore roster, the Texas-based dark metal band have announced their next album, Elegy will be out April 19th. And I cannot fucking wait.
- Here something for the darker synthwave fans out there. GosT has announced a North American tour with Perturbator. The dates run through April and May and I can think off a few people that are going to jump on this immediately.
- How about a new video from Visigoth? Yes? Yes. Ok. This is “Traitor’s Gate” from Conqueror’s Oath.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”