Welcome back, friendo. This month we’re going to do it a little different, because December was slow AF, and we’re all in the spirit of year-end lists. So this time, I’m going to give you a selection of my absolute favorite tracks of the year. Things you might have missed, things *I* might have missed. Just good music all around. 2019 was a year for the books, fingers crossed 2020 delivers. We’ll see what January gives us.
Oh yeah. This one’s a double. What can I say? It was a great year. Oh, and it ain’t all metal. Sorry metal fam, sometimes you just gotta take your medicine. Clocking in at just over two hours, I hope this helps you adjust to the fact that we now live in the future.
Every year I come up with a list of albums, and every year I have trouble trying to firmly rank them. Also, doesn’t everyone just scroll to the end to see what the best album is? I know I do. So here’s my list where the first entries are the best, and it gets decidedly fuzzier after that. But one thing is certain, every album on this list is one of the best albums of the year. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
(ed: Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, or just happy Wednesday, whatever. Consider this a break from the family deal where there’s too many bags of torn gift wrap and cousin Eddie is playing banjo on your last nerve. Enjoy Charles’ picks and check all these out seeing as you’ve got all those gift cards and/or extra cash burning a hole in that pocket.)
How long has it been? Over a week? Jesus, I’m sorry about that. Blame marathon training.
- As always, let’s start with a tour. And there is a big one to mention today. Revocation are co-headlining a North American tour with Voivod. Supporting acts include Psycroptic, Skeletal Remains, and Conjurer. Seriously… that shit is stacked. Dates are this coming fall.
- Another tour, also large. Municipal Waste and Napalm Death, with Sick of it All and Take Offense. Dates are in October, and as it happens my local date for this tour is the same weekend/festival as the tour above. But it’s in Worcester. Attendance likelihood: 20%.
- Horrendous fans out there may be interested in their two hour Gimme Radio show that starts tonight at 7:00. They’ll have their own playlist, fielding live questions from fans, and all kinds of fun stuff. And if you miss it, there’s a re-air on Sunday.
- Amon Amarth dropped a new video for “Mjolner, Hammer of Thor”. You know, the most Amon Amarth-iest song title out of the all the Amon Amarth song titles.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
No Canto tomorrow because I’ll be Ghosting.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
* SPOILERS: it’s gonna be 20 albums…buckle your seat belts.
I told myself this year I was going to take it easy – do the Honorable Mentions, get the final list out, and put 2018 to rest. On a global, national, and personal front the year’s been pretty much a disaster from the start, and the quicker I can put it in my rearview mirror the better. But the more I tweaked and played with my end of year selections (thank you Trello for making that shit so easy) the more I realized that – like always – music was the thing that propped me up and made every setback if not better, at least tolerable. And when the dust cleared from all the list building I found a huge excess of albums that didn’t make my lists but easily could have on another day. Everything is interchangeable; we are not the people we were even a moment ago, and those experiences constantly inform our perspective on the world, metal albums included. Continue reading