Wow, it really has been a while since I’ve visited this column, huh? Things got really busy really fast over here, and it’s kinda hard to sit and write two articles a week when life is finally starting to pick up. However, the tunes did not stop this year, and some of my favorite and most anticipated releases this year were from more than just the metal world. It’s my pleasure to bring you another year of the best of all things metal-adjacent and non-metal. Any of these albums can stand up to the world of buzzsaw guitars, blast beats and screamed vocals. Maybe not in terms of sheer force, but in terms of emotional depth and good times, absolutely. Without further ado, here we go:Continue reading
Rainbows in the Dark: Drowse — “Wane into It”
Content warning for what lies ahead: we’re going to be talking about death, suicide and addiction quite a bit in the lines that follow. If you’re not comfortable with that, no worries, see you in the next one, but it is very hard to talk about Drowse and their third album on the venerable Flenser Wane into It without mentioning the heartache, loss and lingering uncertainty that went into this three-year journey. For those tuning out, I’ll leave you with my abridged thoughts up front: Wane into It is a heartbreakingly real, achingly emotional ride that is really not to be missed.Continue reading
CANTO: Woods of Desolation, Creeper, In Flames, and More
The start of another week. But at least the Red Wings notched a few wins this past weekend.
- Since I live in the mountains now, let’s start with some atmospheric black metal. Woods of Desolation premiered a new track today titled “Illumination”. That’s the third single taken from The Falling Tide, their new album which drops on September 9 through Season of Mist.
- Moving in a bit of a hardcore direction next, we have Creeper. Their new single, “Ghost Brigade”, is the first material released through Spinefarm. Sex, Death & The Infinite Void dropped in 2020, so we’ll keep an eye out for new album announcements in the months ahead.
- The new Drowse LP, Wane Into It, is out this coming Friday through The Flenser. As such, check out “Three Faces (Cyanoacrylate)” over at Chorus. There’s an interview there worth reading as well.
- There’s some real hype surrounding Foregone, the upcoming new In Flames album. So with that in consideration, we’ll tie up our Monday with the new video for “Foregone Pt. 2”. It’s a different vibe than the other singles we’ve heard, but that is definitely not a bad thing. As a reminder, that album is out on February 10 through Nuclear Blast.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
CANTO: The Ocean, Der Weg einer Freiheit, Eight Bells, and More
Finally a tour I will, without any doubt, attend in the near future.
- And that, of course, is The Ocean, who are finally returning to the U.S. in March. They have a run of shows with Leprous starting on March 1st and continuing through April 2nd. No idea when tickets go on sale, but either way I will be buying many of them. I’m excited.
- More out of Germany! Der Weg einer Freiheit are streaming Noktvrn in full over at the Season of Mist YouTube channel ahead of its release. I mean, it drops on Friday, only a couple days away. But it’s an incredible album and you should be excited to get it a little early.
- Eight Bells have signed on with Prophecy Productions for the release of their third full-length album. That should be out sometime in 2022, but we can also look forward to a reissue of their existing catalog. Good stuff on the horizon.
- Drowse dropped a cover of Slipknot’s “Wait and Bleed” today, and that feels like a thing worth checking out. So… here you go! That’s from a nu metal covers compilation from The Flenser titled Send the Pain Below, which you can grab on vinyl through their Series Three membership.
- And we’ll close some Roadburn Redux material from last year. Horte shared footage of “Valoa on liikaa” today, and you can watch it below. That track is taken from Maa antaa yön vaientaa, which dropped on August 27th through Pelagic Records.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
CANTO: Killswitch Engage, Torche, Enthroned, Drowse, and More
I almost spelled that as “Catno”. Wouldn’t that have been fun.
- Killswitch Engage and Clutch have announced a co-headlining tour this summer. The dates are in July and August throughout North America, and there a lot of outdoor venues in there. Pretty, pretty, pretty cool.
- Torche has announced their next album, Admission, will be out on July 12th via Relapse Records. As an introduction to their new material, you can listen to a track called “Slide” right now. Upcoming tour dates as well.
- We’re only a few weeks away from the new Enthroned album, titled Cold Black Suns, which drops on June 7th. “Vapula Omega”, the third and final track we’ll be able to preview, is now available for streaming. So get in here and listen to it.
- Hey. Check out this new video from Drowse for “Bipolar 1”. I really like it. Light Mirror will also be out on June 7th.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”