Goddamn I love a good cover. There’s something so humanizing about having a band bare their influences to the world, and whether they choose to do something that reinvents a classic or they simply let loose and jam to one of their favorites, it’s so refreshing and a much-needed break from the temptation to always put up a serious front. Enter Inter Arma and their new covers album Garbers Days Revisited, which lets loose with a wide range of covers, inclusive of everything from Venom to Neil Young to Prince and Tom Petty, but never gives up the good-time vibes. Continue reading
CANTO: Inter Arma, Killswitch Engage, Scorpions, and More
“I can’t comprehend society’s movement, the regression of human existence.”
- Inter Arma dropped a cover of Prince’s “Purple Rain” today, a track taken from their Garbers Days Revisited collection. As a reminder, that album drops on July 10th through Relapse Records.
- Killswitch Engage are celebrating their 20th year as a band with this timeline, which documents important moments and events. It’s a like a digital KSE museum, and I am all about it.
- Waltari have announced a live show stream scheduled for Saturday July 11th, with a full Q&A afterwards. This event helps celebrate their recently released new album, Global Rock, which is out through Metalville Records.
- Scorpions are still trucking along, now in their 55th year as a band. And today we got a new track called “Sign of Hope”. Sounds like they are currently in the process of writing a new album. Good for them.
- Lastly, let’s check out this new video from Neaera for “Deathless” together. This should be a good time. Their self-titled album dropped back in February through Metal Blade.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
CANTO: Inter Arma, Gaerea, Vreid, and More
“The price of truth is too high to be paid, let us live with this cheap life.”
- Inter Arma have released a cover of Nine Inch Nails “March of the Pigs”. They have a new covers album, titled Garbers Days Revisited, set for a July 10th release through Relapse Records.
- Imonolith have released a new quarantine session, this one for the track “The Reign”. You need to scroll a bit, but you’ll find it eventually. I do appreciate how they’ve been releasing these session videos from their latest album, State of Being.
- Vreid is the latest to announced a live-streamed concert event. That event will be called “In the Mountains of Sognametal”, and it is set to take place on June 13th, free of charge (but you should find a way to donate or buy some merch anyway).
- Gaerea have released their second new single, “To Ain”, from the upcoming new album, Limbo. Check it out below. That record is set for a July 24th release through Season of Mist.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Best of 2019: Dan still likes metal, but maybe not writing?
Oh look, it’s been over a month since my last post.
Related: I don’t really know if I like blog writing anymore?
Best of 2019: Zyklonius’ List
By now, it has become customary for me to recall at the turn of the year how great the past 12 months were for metal and its myriad sub-genres and styles, and how difficult it has become to keep one’s head above the water in the face of the deluge of releases. I have been listening to metal for over 25 years but am still astonished and impressed on a daily basis by the boundless imagination on display, be it the ever-blossoming creativity of bands who have been operating for 20 years or the ravenous appetite of newcomers. Continue reading