Goddamn I love a good cover. There’s something so humanizing about having a band bare their influences to the world, and whether they choose to do something that reinvents a classic or they simply let loose and jam to one of their favorites, it’s so refreshing and a much-needed break from the temptation to always put up a serious front. Enter Inter Arma and their new covers album Garbers Days Revisited, which lets loose with a wide range of covers, inclusive of everything from Venom to Neil Young to Prince and Tom Petty, but never gives up the good-time vibes. Continue reading
“I can’t comprehend society’s movement, the regression of human existence.”
- Inter Arma dropped a cover of Prince’s “Purple Rain” today, a track taken from their Garbers Days Revisited collection. As a reminder, that album drops on July 10th through Relapse Records.
- Killswitch Engage are celebrating their 20th year as a band with this timeline, which documents important moments and events. It’s a like a digital KSE museum, and I am all about it.
- Waltari have announced a live show stream scheduled for Saturday July 11th, with a full Q&A afterwards. This event helps celebrate their recently released new album, Global Rock, which is out through Metalville Records.
- Scorpions are still trucking along, now in their 55th year as a band. And today we got a new track called “Sign of Hope”. Sounds like they are currently in the process of writing a new album. Good for them.
- Lastly, let’s check out this new video from Neaera for “Deathless” together. This should be a good time. Their self-titled album dropped back in February through Metal Blade.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
“The price of truth is too high to be paid, let us live with this cheap life.”
- Inter Arma have released a cover of Nine Inch Nails “March of the Pigs”. They have a new covers album, titled Garbers Days Revisited, set for a July 10th release through Relapse Records.
- Imonolith have released a new quarantine session, this one for the track “The Reign”. You need to scroll a bit, but you’ll find it eventually. I do appreciate how they’ve been releasing these session videos from their latest album, State of Being.
- Vreid is the latest to announced a live-streamed concert event. That event will be called “In the Mountains of Sognametal”, and it is set to take place on June 13th, free of charge (but you should find a way to donate or buy some merch anyway).
- Gaerea have released their second new single, “To Ain”, from the upcoming new album, Limbo. Check it out below. That record is set for a July 24th release through Season of Mist.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Oh look, it’s been over a month since my last post.
Related: I don’t really know if I like blog writing anymore?
By now, it has become customary for me to recall at the turn of the year how great the past 12 months were for metal and its myriad sub-genres and styles, and how difficult it has become to keep one’s head above the water in the face of the deluge of releases. I have been listening to metal for over 25 years but am still astonished and impressed on a daily basis by the boundless imagination on display, be it the ever-blossoming creativity of bands who have been operating for 20 years or the ravenous appetite of newcomers. Continue reading