I bloody hate snakes. I don’t wanna look at them and I don’t want them anywhere near me. However, if there’s an exception that makes me excited, it’s this black mamba on the cover of Soen‘s new album. Their previous release, Lotus, was my favourite album of 2019 and naturally I have massive expectations of Imperial. This will be the fifth full-length album for the Swedish supergroup, founded by ex-Opeth man Martin Lopez and vocalist Joel Ekelöf.Continue reading
I don’t know if the best of 2020 glut has me temporarily bloated on music or what, but it’s been tough to really focus on new albums for more than a cursory spin. Instead, I’ve been catching up on some long overdue reading and burning the midnight oil in the mountains and it’s been a head clearer, to say the least. However, this week’s new release haul has offered at least a few that have me refocused and paying close attention. The first of which is the new gothic barnburner from Tribulation, progressive metallers Soen have given reason to pause, neofolk group Rome give much to reflect on as well as a bevy of amazing tracks, and Werewolves’ brand of intense yet melodic yet groovy death metal has been loads of fun. So, you could say that just when I need it the most, the artists have come through with precisely what I need and right on time. Obviously, there’s a ton more included below so there’s something here for everyone. Thrill of the hunt type of deal. Or whatever. Just do it.Continue reading
Today was a good mail day. It’s the simple things on a Friday.
- South Carolina black-thrashers Demiser have announced a new full-length. Their debut, titled Through The Gate Eternal, will be available on March 12 through Boris Records. They’re streaming a new single over at Cvlt Nation called “Deathstrike”, if you’re interested.
- Looks like Soulfly have jumped back into the studio to record the follow up to Ritual, which dropped back in 2018. This would mark their 12th album, and it looks like we may have it before the end of the year via Nuclear Blast.
- Rebel Wizard released a live video of “Real happiness in killing enjoyment” performed at the Wizard’s Crypt. That marks the first in a series of video performed in the same location. That was fun, we’ll keep an eye on this going forward.
- Soen, definitely a popular project in our Nine Circles ring, released a new video today for “Illusion”. That’s the third single from their fifth studio album, Imperial, which drops next week through Silver Lining Music. Just another highly anticipated release early in the year.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
I had no time for this yesterday. I also had no time for other things, but you don’t care.
- I guess I don’t have much choice but to share the new Tool song a day late. This is the Fear Inoculum title track. Enjoy. Or don’t. I’m not sure if I do yet. Also, what the hell with the physical version of this record?
- Blut Aus Nord fans out there, this is for you. The trippy French black metal band are releasing a new album, called Hallucinogen, on October 11th through Debemur Morti Productions. And we have album artwork!
- And there was that time a woman scared off a cougar using Metallica music. “Don’t Tread On Me”, to be specific. How did I miss this?
- Here’s a new music/lyric video from Diamond Head for “The Sleeper”. This one was taken from The Coffin Train, which dropped back in May on Silver Lining Music.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Hey, I’m doing these again! So exciting. I can’t wait to see the look on Chris’ face.
- Let’s start with my favorite news of the day. Hypocrisy have announced a delicious tour with Fleshgod Apocalypse next Spring. I cannot freaking wait.
- Swedish progressive metallers Soen will be releasing their fourth album, Lotus, next February through Silver Lining Music. There’s a European tour upcoming as well.
- Dream Theater have announced things (tour, album stuff, etc.) that I’m sure somebody out there will care about. Spoiler alert: I’m not that somebody.
- More prog metal! Toska have released a new video for “Abomasum” (off of Fire By The Silos) ahead of their tour through Europe. Check it out below.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”