I guess I’m back in the regular routine again. How exciting.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Happy Monday, metalheads! Or I guess by now, it’s technically Tuesday. So I’m late on this. Later than Quickies, in fact. But hey, when blogging’s not your day job, these things happen. At any rate, it’s time for another edition of The Horns Up Top 10. This week’s artist doesn’t really need any introduction–but we’re of course going to give you one anyway. It’s Mastodon.
As a photo of the band at the Grammy Awards might hint at, Mastodon’s perhaps the single best-known contemporary metal band among mainstream circles. Over a nearly-15-year career, the band’s covered more than its share of ground: six albums, Grammy nominations, a major-label record deal and, most importantly, zero lineup changes. By evolving their sound so dramatically during that time, they’ve become a band that just dares you to try and ignore what they’re working on. You may no longer like them as much as you used to–or at all–but when they’re working on something new, you’ll wind up at least checking it out sooner or later, if only to be able to remain part of the conversation. Continue reading
Over the U.S. loss yet? Not entirely. Hopefully some of this weeks releases eased the pain. But they probably didn’t. Anyway, no matches today means Quickies are coming at ya.
- Mark Castillo has made a brilliant move and left Emmure. Rumors point to Adam Pierce replacing him on drums.
- Weekly chart update: Mastodon had a very solid opening week with Once More ‘Round The Sun. I enjoyed it.
- Danny Leal, vocalist for Upon A Burning Body, has gone missing. Serious issue, and if you check out some of the most recent social media posts, it’s even scarier.
- For the Periphery fans out there (and I know you’re out there), here’s a studio update.
- Bill Kelliher, Mikael Akerfeldt, and Bjorn Gelotte on a project? Mastodon, Opeth, and In Flames on a project? Got my attention.
- And for an obligatory video post, here is the new music video for Nexilva’s ‘Necromancer’ (you’re welcome, prog-death fans):
Parts of that song I like. Parts of that song I don’t like. All of that music video I don’t like. Because analysis. I’m gonna go drink a beer.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Live. Love. Plow. Horns Up.