I feel like I said this recently, but the everflowing stream of live shows and fests are excellent news. I mean, EXCELLENT. We’ve all missed them, and each other for that matter. Even if you’re the dude that loves to windmill dead in the middle of the crowded floor…you have been missed. Me? I won’t be in the middle of said floor, but will be holding up the bar in the back grinning from ear to ear to actually see this magical thing happen again. Anyway, I digress as we’re here for new metal and that we have tons of. Atmospheric black metal is something Svneatr dive into even deeper than before on their latest, Impaled Nazarene make sick music for sick folks and they continue their sick black metal pulverization of humanity this week, the band with the always stunning Conanish album covers and excellent heavy metal, Cirith Ungol, are once again upon us with a quick ripper of an EP, and Engraver offer up another quick ripper of an EP but this time thrash is the name of the game. Head below to find all the albums that will empty your wallet and go plan your upcoming events wisely. See you there.Continue reading
I echo what Corey said in yesterday’s Canto: “This was one long fucking week.” For some, it’s done. For others, it’s not. Either way we’ve got another loaded mixtape, of stuff we’ve been spinning, to burn the day off with. We’ve got a killer opening pair with new Withered and Cryptosis, Insomnium, The Lion’s Daughter (insane new album that is), Wo Fat, Putrefying Cadaverment, Kauan, Dark Tranquillity, and a ton more. Whether you’re working, playing, drinking, or whatever, we’ve got the goods to get you through the day. Slap that play button below.
Happy Tuesday, all. Had to take yesterday evening off to get stabbed with a needle. Yay!
- Transcending Records will be issuing limited edition vinyl pressings of Samael classics Rebellion and Eternal. Originally released in 1995 and 1999 respectively, these offerings will be available on May 28th in a few different variants. Pre-order them right here.
- Cirith Ungol got right back to work following the release of Forever Black just last year. A new EP, titled Half Past Human, is also set for a May 28th release through Metal Blade Records. Pre-orders can be snagged here, and the new single, “Brutish Manchild”, is available for streaming as well.
- Carnation have announced “The Galaxy Sessions” virtual performance, scheduled for April 18th. The old school death metallers have team up with Belgium’s Galaxy Studio for the event, which is completely free. Here’s the event page for when the time comes.
- Crimson Dimension are releasing their self-titled debut album on June 4th through Spread Evil Productions. Check out the new track, “Crimson Dimension”, immediately below. Almost 16 minutes of experimental black metal awesomeness.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Next week I’ll be posting Part 1 of my annual glut of end of year posts, but there’s usually so much I enjoyed I like to spread the wealth a little bit and put some beloved but odd-man-out entries out there for you to consider. In a dumpster fire of a year like 2020, putting anything out is kind of a miracle, but the amount of quality music – let alone metal – is kind of astounding. It served as a balm when I needed to calm down, as an ignition switch when I needed to get fired up, and as a wail of despair when I didn’t think I could take much more of what life was throwing at me.
So similar to years past, any one of these could have made my final list. Maybe it was a lack of time, maybe it was something that stood as a taste instead of a meal…maybe it’s just that what I needed was served elsewhere. Doesn’t make this list any less righteous. So for this edition of Nine Circles ov…, let’s stop talking and get into the good stuff.
New vinyl arrived today! Yay!
- The Maryland Doom Fest 2020 has been rescheduled, unsurprisingly. The festival will still take place in this calendar year, it will now be held from October 29th through November 1st. As a reminder, headliners include Cirith Ungol, Blood Ceremony, The Skull, Witch Mountain, and more.
- In case you missed Kvelertak‘s “Live From Your Living Room” event, you can check out a clip of the performance of “Bråtebrann” right now. Not gonna lie, they did a really, really good job with this.
- Destruction is dropping a live album that will be available digitally on May 8th. Their first live album with the current lineup will be called Born To Thrash – Live In Germany and you can check out the track listing here.
- And we will wrap up with the music video from Boston’s Let Us Prey for “Halo Crown”. Virtues of the Vicious is out on July 24th through M-Theory Audio, so be sure to keep that on your radar as we continue to inch toward summer.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”