I distinctly remember when Dogs, the last release of new material from The Great White North’s own Alexisonfire came out; I remember being so stoked at how raw and aggressive and downright nasty it was and being so excited for what could possibly come next from that EP. Well, what came next was a breakup and very little else for years on end. Then came 2019, new material and the hope of a new full-length release, but even then, it still took a few more years to get to this point. But here we are. Otherness is more than just an exercise in cashing in on the hype of reforming after a long absence; it is a mission statement and a path forward.Continue reading
Man, it’s been a while since I did one of these. I think I pulled a muscle just typing that last sentence. But, our fearless leader Josh is taking a very, VERY well-deserved vacation, so you’ve got me for this edition. I’ll try not to disappoint too much. Lucky for you, (maybe?) there are some bands I know releasing stuff this week! We start with Saor, who returns with full-length No. 5, Origins. I still fondly remember the early days of this blog, when Corey and I didn’t know about folky black metal and thus promptly had our minds blown by the band’s then-new album, Aura. Good to see ’em back. Let’s see, who else… oh! Khold! Pretty sure I know them! The Norwegians return with their first full-length slab of black metal in almost eight years. Not into black metal? How about some good, old-fashioned Swedish death? Well, good news: Paganizer is also back this week! We also have a highlight that… isn’t really metal, per se, but still kinda exciting: the first reunion album from Canadian post-hardcore legends Alexisonfire. That’s just four highlights, so you know what to do from here: hit the link below and peep the full list!Continue reading
The month of April is going to be absolutely insane.
- Following up on the release of Zero And Below, Kirk Windstein breaks down the latest Crowbar effort in this video. It’s a great album, and if you still need a copy of it, here ya go.
- Street Sects are back with the final installment of their Gentrification single series. Gentrification V: Whitewashed will be out through The Flenser on May 20th. Check out “History is Everyone’s Fuck” here. They’ll also be on tour this coming August and September, which is cool.
- New York City deathgrinders Skullshitter are releasing a new full-length on May 6th through Nerve Altar, titled Goat Claw. The opening track, “Angel of Decay”, is available for streaming here.
- Sharing this news about Stoned Jesus because that might be my favorite band name ever. Anyway, they just signed on with Season of Mist, where they’ll release their fifth full-length eventually.
- And we’ll close with something a little different. Below is the latest video from Chastity for “Happy Face”. That’s a track taken from Suffer Summer, which is out through Deathwish Inc. and Dine Alone Records.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”