Welcome to another edition of our Saturday morning playlist. We’ve got a house full of new picks from Judicator, Napalm Death, Pig Destroyer, and much more. There’s bound to be something you’ll like in there, stop what are you waiting for?
March 21, 2017
Good morning, it’s time to metal. Here’s some news you might have missed from yesterday:
- Leading off with one we missed from over the weekend — whoops! — but it’s particularly cool, so we’re gonna play catch-up: the Shadow Woods Metal Festival announced its 2017 lineup, and holy crap is this one a dandy. Panopticon, Vastum, Uada, Woe and tons more. Get on it.
- Cool tour alert: Primus has announced an extensive run of summer dates with Clutch. I’ve never seen Primus, and the one time I did see Clutch, I was too wasted to remember much, so…I might have to dabble with this one.
- Mike Scheidt’s been through hell over the last few months, so a bit of great news on that front: the YOB frontman successfully underwent a second surgery as part of his recovery from diverticulitis. Here’s hoping Mike heals up further and gets back to doing what he does best: utter sonic devastation.
- Remember that then-untitled new Danzig album we told you about on Friday? Well, it’s got a title: Black Laden Crown. Hooray?
- And finally, Ghost Bath released a new song called “Ambrosial,” which you can hear below:
I liked these guys more when they were from China. Anyway, that’ll do it for now — check back this time tomorrow for our next edition!
Keep it heavy,
After taking a week off for Chicago Open Air happenings, I decided to return this week with a bit of a curious choice. Spoiler alert: The curious choice is not the album. More on that later. I’ve spent much of the past couple of weeks revisiting some notable albums from the last couple of years. Naturally, I find myself falling father and father behind the new releases dropping each week. But that’s something a rainy day can fix quickly, so it’s a justifiable situation as far as I’m concerned. So, this week I decided to feature one of my favorite albums from last year (even if it didn’t make my EOY list) and supplement it with… well, nothing special. The Metal: Ghost Bath – Moonlover. The Booze: Pabst Old Tankard Ale. Continue reading
“Listening to you as you say your prayers – Evil bears with deadly stares. Ripping you apart to protect what’s theirs – There is no escape from the furious bears!”
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Big week here on the new metal front, and of course, your boy’s nursing a bit of a hangover from last night’s Noisey showcase at Saint Vitus. Big ups to all the bands that played, and big downs to the amount of alcohol that was consumed coming back to bite me in the ass. Oh well. I guess this is what happens when Dan tries to concert on a weeknight…
Anyway, what’s dropping today? All kinds of stuff. We’ve got new full-lengths from Aaron Turner and Sumac, as well as from Boston’s Astronoid and San Diego’s Ghoulgotha. Plus, if you feel like getting #MetalTwitter’s panties in a knot, there’s also a physical reissue of Ghost Bath‘s Moonlover, which originally dropped last year. A bunch more in the works, so let’s jump into it — here’s what’s on tap for this week: