Wow, it really has been a while since I’ve visited this column, huh? Things got really busy really fast over here, and it’s kinda hard to sit and write two articles a week when life is finally starting to pick up. However, the tunes did not stop this year, and some of my favorite and most anticipated releases this year were from more than just the metal world. It’s my pleasure to bring you another year of the best of all things metal-adjacent and non-metal. Any of these albums can stand up to the world of buzzsaw guitars, blast beats and screamed vocals. Maybe not in terms of sheer force, but in terms of emotional depth and good times, absolutely. Without further ado, here we go:Continue reading
Thanks Fearless Editor Josh™ for covering the last two weeks of the playlist while I was away. I survived on a steady diet of alcohol and 80s thrash, and I *think* I got most of it out of my system by now.
Anyway, we’re gonna streamline this thing moving forward. You got tracks from the likes of Warforged, City of Caterpillar, Krisiun, and Amon Amarth, not to mention a whole lot of other stuff that may or may not be heavy. I mean, it’s the 243rd edition of the Nine Circles playlist, after all. What else did you expect? Well, since I’m back maybe you expected some classic rock or maybe some 80s thrash. We’ll see. There will definitely be some Boris, that’s for damn sure…maybe some Incantation, Night Eternal, you know – stuff like that.
Get listening. Stay safe. See you next week.
Home from Boston early enough to knock out a Canto? Not bad at all.
- Leading off, we have new material for Capra. Here is the video for “Red Guillotine”, a track taken from In Transmission, which dropped last year through Blacklight and Metal Blade. As an aside, be sure to catch them on the road with Whores and Bummer all through this month.
- Heilung are releasing their third full-length album on August 19th through Season of Mist, titled Drif. Along with this news, they released a video teaser for a track titled “Anoana”, which can be seen and heard here.
- Black metal solo artist Hulder is releasing The Eternal Fanfare MLP through 20 Buck Spin this coming July, and today unveiled the artwork, track list, and most importantly the first single, “Sylvan Awakening”. July tour dates with Skeleton are on the horizon as well.
- Let’s close with the new video from Benighted for “Casual Piece of Meat”. It’s pretty damn wild. That’s another sample from their 2020 album, Obscene Repressed, which is out through Season of Mist. If you need to round out your day with some deathgrind, this is a good place to start.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Is this still fun? Honestly some days it’s hard to tell.
- This is the right throwback I need tonight. God Forbid are reissuing Gone Forever on a limited-edition splatter vinyl. It’ll be issued through M-Theory Audio, and available on June 10th. They’ve also announced a reunion performance during the Blue Ridge Rock Festival, which is awesome.
- Death Bells have announced a new album, Between Here & Everywhere, which will be out on July 29th through Dais Records. Check out the video for the new single, “Lifespring”, now.
- I haven’t seen any of the trailers for The Northman yet, but I might check out the latest one, which features music from Heilung. Specifically, “Hakkerskaldyr”. Give it a watch here. Fun fact, the name behind this film, Robert Eggers, is a Portsmouth man! So we’re basically best friends.
- Moloken is a thing that I dig, so we’ll close with their new video for “Hollow Caress”. That’s a track taken from their fourth album, Unveilance of Dark Matter, which was released through The Sign back in 2020.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Well, this week certainly isn’t playing out as we drew it up.
- Crowbar is returning with a new full-length on March 4th, titled Zero and Below. That’ll be out through MNRK Heavy, with preorders available here. Jump over to Revolver to check out a premiere of the video for “Chemical Godz” right now.
- Heilung have announced a 2022 North American tour, running from late August through October 1st. Tickets go on sale tomorrow at this location, if you happen to be interested in that one. As an added perk, one tree will be planted for each ticket sold. I support things like that.
- As you’ve learned by now, we always share Moon Tooth things, so here’s a video for “The Conduit”. They have a few shows coming up later this month before, what I assume will be, a busy 2022.
- Sylvaine revealed new album news. The fourth studio effort, Nova, will drop on March 4th through Season of Mist. Check out the video for the new track “Nowhere, Still Somewhere”, right here.
- Arch Enemy are back with a new single and video, titled “House of Mirrors”, and that’s how we’ll close out the day. That’s the first new material we’ve heard from them in a minute, and it’s available for purchase here.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”