My tastes tend to to sway when it comes to power metal. Sometimes I want it to be aggressive, heavy and light on the histrionics. Sometimes I want full-blown, costume and role play drama on an operatic level. Back in 2018 when we were doing the Power Metal Album of the Month one of the biggest surprises was Immortal Guardian, who on their debut were more often than not able to successfully merge the two styles into a ridiculously fun outing. If anything, that balance solidifies on sophomore effort Psychosomatic, bringing sharper songs and a beefier production to highlight how in a short amount of time the band has become a force to reckon with in the genre.Continue reading
Oh look, America broke. Who could have EVER seen this coming?? Anyway. 2/26 seems to be a popular date in today’s announcements…
- Summoning The Lich just signed on to a deal with Prosthetic Records back in October, and today have announced details surrounding their debut album. The fantasy-themed death metal crew out of St. Louis will release United In Chaos on February 26th. Check out that clip for “The Nightmare Begins” while you’re at it.
- Iotunn, the progressive metal band out of Denmark, have unveiled new album details. Access All Worlds will also be out on February 26th, through Metal Blade Records. Today, they released a new single for “Voyage of the Garganey I”, which can be heard at that link as well.
- We’re still paying tribute to Alexi Laiho at Nine Circles, so let’s pause here and take a few minutes to watch this cover of “Downfall”. That clip includes members of Immortal Guardian, Helion Prime, and Oceans Of Slumber.
- Blackened industrial doom project Culted are releasing a new album on, you guessed it, February 26th through Season of Mist, titled Nous. You can pre-order that here. Check out the new video for “Black Bird” immediately below.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
I feel like there was something important I was supposed to get done today…
- I think we all saw that fossil discovery that was named after The Ocean. Well, it looks like Rotting Christ gets a fossil as well. A new brittle-star species has been named “Brezinacantha Tolis” in honor of the Tolis brothers. Dope.
- Winterfylleth have released a lyric video for “A Valley Thick With Oaks” in celebration of the 10th anniversary reissue of The Mercian Sphere. That limited edition is out now through Candlelight Records.
- Finnish death metal band Omnivortex released the second single via video from their upcoming debut album. Check out “At The Mountains Of Madness” now, and prepare for the release of Diagrams Of Consciousness on November 11th through Concorde Music Company.
- Immortal Guardian dropped a new music video for “Read Between The Lines”. Psychosomatic will be out through M-Theory Audio on Feb. 12, 2021.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
I just opened the inbox and saw something from something called Ghost Toast. That made me smile. Anyway, moving on…
- Intronaut have kicked out a new single called “Pangloss” ahead of the release of their sixth studio album, Fluid Existential Inversions. That album will officially be out on February 28th via Metal Blade Records.
- Barishi have revealed new album details today. Old Smoke will be out on April 24th through Season of Mist. Better yet, they are currently touring with Ether Coven. No dates near me, however. Sad!
- Immortal Guardian have recently entered the studio. It appears as though they have started the recording process for their sophomore album, with an expected release date some time in the fall. They’ve got upcoming North American tour dates with Powerglove, as well. Good stuff all around.
- Thanatos has an album coming out on March 20th through Listenable Records called Violent Death Rituals. Check out the lyric video for the title track immediately below.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
It’s been a blast covering the vast expanse of styles that power metal has to offer on a monthly basis, but sadly all things must pass. As I went through each month finding amazing records I kept holding off writing about them until the end of month post, and by doing so there were times I couldn’t give some of the albums their proper turn in the spotlight. So rather than one post a month where we cover the genre my goal is to integrate power metal more fully into the coverage here at Nine Circles, allowing the bands and albums the proper room to shine on their own.
But before we do that, let’s get December out of the way with the only band to make the Power Metal Album of the Month twice in the same year: Lovebites and their new full length Clockwork Immortal. Continue reading