Real hockey starts this week.
- System of a Down have announced a string of tour dates… in Europe. Still, activity is activity. I would love to see them live again if the stars were to ever align in such a way. Oh, those dates are all next summer.
- In today’s business news, Victory Records has been sold to Concord Music Group. I don’t have specifics, but the Billboard link mentions Victory pulled in up to $5 million per year and was probably sold in the $27-34 million range. Still, the punk label as well all knew it will be no more. I assume.
- For those that missed it, Metallica had to cancel a tour while James Hetfield checks back into rehab. Obviously, we all hope he pulls out of this battle, but if there’s any bright side to this, it’s the support that’s been vocalized publicly by other musicians he’s had a positive influence on.
- Finally, we’ll close with a new music video from hardcore/sludge outfit Minors. Because that’s pretty much what I need in life right now. The song is called “Garden of Dismalism”, taken from Abject Bodies, which is out now on Holy Roar Records.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
After nearly an 8 year run the footlights went out for the original Headbangers Ball at the end of January 1995. By this point it wasn’t much of a surprise, at least to me. The show had become a shell of its own self. Long gone were the days of rowdy interviews and comical backstage mishaps. The programming shifted into the mainstream rock and grunge thing that was happening at that time and left its roots to rot and die a slow death. During its peak though, the show was my favorite two hours of tv and thus is the focus of this edition of tbt. Continue reading
First of two days in a row where I’ll be taking on the Quickies, because Corey’s off doing Boston things. So here they are! Let’s see what we missed today, shall we?
- Because of course he doesn’t have the good sense to just go the fuck away and hide in a bunker somewhere, Varg Vikernes wrote an RPG book called MYFAROG. I’m just going to assume it’s all different kinds of horrible and racist. Yeah, I think that’s a safe bet.
- I’m not one to care about this kind of thing, but since a lot of y’all are…Slayer released a new song today. It’s called “When the Stillness Comes.” It kinda sucks. So there.
- Good news, Baroness fans—the band hopes to finish recording their follow-up to 2012’s Yellow and Green later this month!
- Jamey Jasta opened his face about death metal. Or death metal fans. Something. I don’t know; I don’t particularly care what this guy has to say about…anything.
- And finally, here’s a new Byzantine video—check out “The Agonies” below:
Nice. Anyway, that’ll do it for tonight. Check back tomorrow for the usual!
Keep it heavy,
Live. Love. Plow. Horns Up.