Years before I had heard a single note it was the logo, the way the letters seemed scratched in flesh, sinister crosses embedded in the “N” and “M” signifying something I wasn’t prepared to listen to…yet. By the time I finally opened up to the grand progenitors of grind, Napalm Death, it was during their post-2000 resurgence, and my purchase of their compilation Noise for Music’s Sake led me down a rabbit hole of the most exquisite display of passionate anger and rage this side of the universe. Between 6-second bursts of grind, impeccable artwork, and some of the most biting social commentary ever put to paper, the arrival of a new EP and a new full length on the horizon makes this a perfect time to dedicate a Nine Circles ov... to one of the best bands to ever carry the tag of “extreme” in their music.
Let’s do this. Continue reading
Today was a big day. Tomorrow will be an even bigger day.
- Stop EVERYTHING. Katatonia revealed stuff today. City Burials, the next album from the somber metal legends, will be out on April 24th through Peaceville Records. Check out the first single, titled “Lacquer”, right now.
- Let’s use this opportunity to remind everyone of the upcoming Lord Dying tour with Obituary and Black Label Society, and also introduce this new video for “Freed From The Pressures Of Time”. That track is from last year’s Mysterium Tremendum.
- I think we are all aware of the upcoming Napalm Death tour this spring, but today I’m happy to share that Tombs will be joining them. That’s gonna be a beast of a lineup, not gonna lie.
- Here’s a new music video from Anvil for “Legal At Last”, the title track from their upcoming album which will be out February 14th on AFM Records. Enjoy.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Would YOU love a monsterman? That’s the real question.
- Some somber news to start off with. Corrosion of Conformity drummer Reed Mullin passed away at the age of 53. The cause of death has not been revealed, but you can read a statement from the band here.
- There are some more headlining dates for Napalm Death coming in the near future. Those are North American dates in April and May, and support will include WVRM, Tombs, Aborted, The Locust… etc.
- Neck of the Woods have signed on with Pelagic Records for the release of their latest full-length. The Annex Of Ire drops on March 20th. I generally pay close attention to releases under that label, and this will be no different.
- So this is some seriously awesome shit that I totally missed a couple days ago. This is a video for “Burning Sage”, the first single from Irist, whose debut album drops on March 27th via Nuclear Blast. It’ll be titled Order Of The Mind, and is a record you absolutely cannot miss.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Only Canto this week. It’s what happens when you get back into town on a Tuesday night and immediately leave again the following Friday.
- Decibel Magazine Metal & Beer Fest 2020 has released the first round of bands — Converge, Satan, Napalm Death, Mayhem… — and breweries — Broken Goblet, 3 Floyds, Yards… — this is gonna be a party. Maybe this time I will make it.
- Wilderun dropped a new song and lyric video from their upcoming new album, Veil of Imagination. The track is called “The Tyranny of Imagination”. Dabble, yes? That album drops November 1st, in case you needed a reminder. (You didn’t.)
- Mortiis has been busy as well. A new album, titled “Spirit Of Rebellion”, will be out on January 24th. Furthermore, there are a decent number of live dates both here and in the EU penned for the rest of 2019 and early 2020.
- Hour Of Penance dropped a new music video for a track called “Blight And Conquer”. Isn’t pixel art fun? Misotheism is out October 25th on Agonia Records.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”