Here we are at the dawn of October. One of the finest months of the year, obviously. What better way to kick it off than with a stacked list of metal that is as varied as the many horror movies you need to watch over the next 31 days. Anyway, Initial Descent knows you need it so, this week we have the amazing new album The Dark Hereafter from Winterfylleth, a jazzy avant-garde self titled debut from Brain Tentacles, Okkultokrati‘s Raspberry Dawn that is satan rock at it’s finest and of course Sorceress from everyone’s favorite target Opeth. For everyone still mad about the whole no death metal thing, news flash, they’re still great. Also Veilburner returns with their third full length of inherently evil and challenging black/death/experimental The Obscene Rite and Halshug cracks the earth in half with their brutal new album Sort Sind. Plenty here for you to enjoy so without further delay, get busy after the jump. Continue reading
“It’s the cowardice that pulls you under, and takes you to the end, where it begins. Release, the world is waiting on your arrival. Close your eyes, as we witness another bullet ride.”
- We should obviously start today with the big news from In Flames, who announced their next album, Battles, will be out on November 11th. The new track, “The End”, also feels like a significant step up from Siren Charms. So that’s good.
- Couple big/brief tours on hand as well. First, Gwar has announced a relatively brief run of shows with Crowbar, Mutoid Man, and Darkest Hour. Well, this isn’t a big tour in terms of dates, but it will at least be fun?
- And then, for those on the west coast, you get a sick handful of shows from Neurosis, Yob, Kowloon Walled City, and Sumac. I’m super jealous.
- In Flames aren’t the only ones to drop a new track. Check out the new beast from Meshuggah titled “Born In Dissonance”. The Violent Sleep of Reason will be out on October 7th.
- There’s a new one from Asphyx as well! It’s the title-track from the new album, Incoming Death, which drops on September 30th.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”