In 2020, time became a melting flat circle and the concept of eternal recurrence became far too real, mundane and inescapable. Thankfully the high quality of metal released during the year provided solace, perspective and inspiration that helped endure the blizzard of blurring days, weeks and months. Time lost all structural integrity and meaning also in the sense that you will find full-length albums, EPs and even single-track releases on my list, owing to their excellence, innovation, enjoyability, distinct identity and sound as well the evolutionary leaps the featured bands took. The fact that I could omit from my list so many fantastic releases, from the likes of Afterbirth, Havukruunu, Mare Cognitum & Spectral Lore, Serocs, Sweven, Wake and Wills Dissolve, is simply indicative of the sheer quantity of stellar-grade metal in 2020. The list is long and full of flowery prose elaborating why these particular releases resonated with me, so enough with the prefacing.Continue reading
How is it only Tuesday?
- Barishi is the latest band to announce a live concert stream. That one will take place on Saturday, May 2nd at 5:00 PM EDT. The performance will be held at The Stone Church in Brattleboro, VT which I can attest to being a super cool spot.
- Just a quick PSA that Bandcamp is waiving fees the first Friday of May, June, and July. That includes this coming Friday, if you didn’t pick up on that. So get those credit cards ready!
- In keeping up with the Epica blog series, here is episode 4. This one focuses on the guitar and bass recordings. A reminder (another reminder?) that their next album is scheduled for a release through Nuclear Blast this fall.
- And let’s wrap with a new lyric video from The Way of Purity for the track “Bemoan AD”. That one is taken from their latest album, Schwarz Oder Rot, which is available through Wormholedeath and The Orchard.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Earth Day… and I’ve been reluctant to go outside all day because work is murdering me. Go figure.
- Obscura drama is coming right back around again. Steffen Kummerer is flying solo for the time being, as the other 75% of the band bailed to go in a different direction and form a new project called Obsidious. Fun times.
- Katatonia dropped another track from their upcoming new album, City Burials, which is out on Friday. This one is called “The Winter of our Passing” and I assure you, it is a really good time.
- Barishi have announced a Facebook Live listening party for their new album, Old Smoke, tomorrow at 5:00 PM EDT. The album itself officially drops on Friday through Season of Mist.
- 3D music videos are always a good time, so here’s a new one from Abysmal Dawn for “Coerced Evolution”. That track is taken from the recently released Phylogenesis, available through Season of Mist as well.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Welcome to another Saturday morning playlist. We live in weird times but great new music is still here to carry us through. Case in point, this week I’ve brought you the newest one from The Ruins of Beverast and Ulcerate (Stare Into Death and Be Still is quickly becoming one of the most anticipated albums by our staff). Anton also brings in the new one from Aversio Humanitatis, which is another album I’m hotly anticipating. And for something a little different, we are including ‘Slaves to the Grind,’ a documentary about the grindcore scene at the end of the playlist. So check out the tunes and get some culture in you, all at the link below.
Week two, reporting from the abyss.
- Founding guitarist Niklas Sundin is stepping away from Dark Tranquillity. You can read his full post here, but it basically sounds like he wants to trade touring duties for family time, which I understand. It does sound like he will stay involved from a creative standpoint, which is pretty cool.
- Snow Burial are planning a live stream to benefit The Greater Chicago Food Depository. The event will take place on March 26th at 8:00pm EST over at the Prosthetic Records Youtube Channel. Cool event, cool cause, we all win.
- Like everyone else, Sebastian Bach has rescheduled the 2nd leg of his 30th anniversary tour for the album Skid Row. Those new dates have already be set, and they fall from late October through December.
- Finally, we’ll close with the tasty new track from Barishi titled “The Silent Circle”. Their upcoming new album, Old Smoke, drops on April 24th through Season of Mist. Enjoy.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”