Hi, all. You may notice the absence of brother Vincent. He’s off finding a good cemetery to hide the bodies in…wait…I wasn’t supposed to… Anyway, let’s just say he’s predisposed with business. And, you’re stuck with me as your DJ or MC or whatever the hell you want to call me. It’s ok since I’m serving up some delicious jams that we, your lovely Nine Circles fam, have been spinning this week. Brother Vince has the filthy new Vastum, Buke has some straight up prog, I’ve got horrendous death metal, including the new Sentient Horror joint, and Chris has a vast platter of pickings – all of which are AMAZING and exactly what you need to get the weekend kicked off in style. But, it also serves as a soundtrack to any sort of witching hour deeds, so there’s that. No more chatter, DO IT…
I’m running a half marathon in three days. I’m probably going to half try to do well.
- Updates from Borknagar today. Their next studio album, titled True North, will be out on September 27th via Century Media. Very much a reason to be excited.
- More reasons to be excited? Insomnium. They announced today that their 8th studio album will be out on October 4th, also through Century Media. I don’t have a title for this one yet. Also, a European headlining tour starting the following month.
- In today’s edition of “LOL WUT?”, Dark Funeral had a bunch of their stage costumes and armor stolen out of a vehicle. Truthfully, this sucks and people are the god damn worst. But also, really? Did they know what they were stealing, and somehow had a definitive use for it? Very interesting. Anyway, if you know something, say something.
- Should we wrap up this Wednesday up with a little black metal? Sure, why not? This is Cultus Profano with “Under the Infernal Reign, Op. 10”. This is taken from their 2018 release Sacramentum Obscurus. Honestly, this is pretty solid… and who knew black metal like this was emerging from LA?
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Anybody else watch Lords of Chaos yet? Actually… neither have I.
- Look at Khemmis doing stuff! The Denver doomers have just signed on with Nuclear Blast. Looks like new music and some tours in the works as well. I love these guys, I hope they make lots of money.
- Sunn O))) have announced some fun Record Store Day happenings. Their next album, Life Metal, will be released on both CD and vinyl come April 13th via indie retail. I guess that’s cool if you don’t want to wait a couple extra days? Not sure what to pull from this news exactly, tbh.
- So. Borknagar has a new lead vocalist. Who is it you ask? None other than I.C.S. Vortex… who was already doing a lot of vocal stuff anyway? Anyway. Andreas “Vintersorg” Hedlund has decided to step down, and there seems to be no negative feelings anywhere… So let’s see what happens next!
- A music video! “Blood Of The Levant” from Queensrÿche. Casual reminder that The Verdict, is out at the end of the week.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Two days in a row. But not from me. That would be asking too much.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Andreas Hedlund, aka Vintersorg, aka Mr. V (if you believe his Wikipedia page) was a prime component of my re-entry into extreme metal. After falling in with Opeth’s Morningrise I wasn’t sure where to head next, so I went to the record store and maxed out my credit card randomly picking up a bunch of CDs I thought looked cool. The first one I listened to was Empiricism by Borknagar, and while my response to the music was lukewarm (more an issue with the production than the actual songwriting) the vocals hooked me immediately. As fate would have it one of the other CDs I picked up was Vintersorg’s Cosmic Genesis, and listening to that I began to get the sense of just how much versatility and talent this guy had.
So much versatility and talent it’s taken at least seven different bands to contain him so for this week’s Nine Circles ov… let’s dive into some of the music created by, driven buy, or enhanced by the man some (I don’t know who) know as Mr. V. Continue reading