By now, it has become customary for me to recall at the turn of the year how great the past 12 months were for metal and its myriad sub-genres and styles, and how difficult it has become to keep one’s head above the water in the face of the deluge of releases. I have been listening to metal for over 25 years but am still astonished and impressed on a daily basis by the boundless imagination on display, be it the ever-blossoming creativity of bands who have been operating for 20 years or the ravenous appetite of newcomers. Continue reading
It’s been a while (9/19) since I have written something for the column, but real life sucks; between grad school and putting my body through the wringer, priorities shifted and this kept getting pushed back. However, this hasn’t stopped me from listening to music and writing about other things, so we are going to continue the addenda. There are five genres left and then we can finally move on to other genres and whatever else I want to write about, because after two more genres, we might be going into no man’s land.
Also, when this gets published, it might be the new year, so Happy New Year, everyone! Continue reading
Friday Canto because, well, you should know by now.
- Let’s start with a tour. Soulfly has announced a North American tour in February and March of next year. They’ll be supported by Toxic Holocaust and X-Method. No idea who that last band is, but this could be fun.
- Ok, now let’s kick it up a notch. Devastation On The Nation tour 2020 will feature… Borknagar, Rotting Christ, Wolfheart, Abigail Williams, and Imperial Triumphant. Holy, ever-loving, crap. That’s a beast, right there.
- This is from a couple days ago, but is still worth sharing. On the fifth anniversary of their accident, The Ghost Inside released a new video for “Mercy”, which is footage taken from their first show since the crash. Worth watching in every sense of the term.
- Everyone remember Ævangelist? They have finally re-emerged with a new track called “The Origin and End of All: Pain of the Fallen”. FYI, it’s 18 minutes long. They have an album coming out in early 2020 through Hells Headbangers called Nightmarecatcher.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Hi, all. You may notice the absence of brother Vincent. He’s off finding a good cemetery to hide the bodies in…wait…I wasn’t supposed to… Anyway, let’s just say he’s predisposed with business. And, you’re stuck with me as your DJ or MC or whatever the hell you want to call me. It’s ok since I’m serving up some delicious jams that we, your lovely Nine Circles fam, have been spinning this week. Brother Vince has the filthy new Vastum, Buke has some straight up prog, I’ve got horrendous death metal, including the new Sentient Horror joint, and Chris has a vast platter of pickings – all of which are AMAZING and exactly what you need to get the weekend kicked off in style. But, it also serves as a soundtrack to any sort of witching hour deeds, so there’s that. No more chatter, DO IT…
I’m running a half marathon in three days. I’m probably going to half try to do well.
- Updates from Borknagar today. Their next studio album, titled True North, will be out on September 27th via Century Media. Very much a reason to be excited.
- More reasons to be excited? Insomnium. They announced today that their 8th studio album will be out on October 4th, also through Century Media. I don’t have a title for this one yet. Also, a European headlining tour starting the following month.
- In today’s edition of “LOL WUT?”, Dark Funeral had a bunch of their stage costumes and armor stolen out of a vehicle. Truthfully, this sucks and people are the god damn worst. But also, really? Did they know what they were stealing, and somehow had a definitive use for it? Very interesting. Anyway, if you know something, say something.
- Should we wrap up this Wednesday up with a little black metal? Sure, why not? This is Cultus Profano with “Under the Infernal Reign, Op. 10”. This is taken from their 2018 release Sacramentum Obscurus. Honestly, this is pretty solid… and who knew black metal like this was emerging from LA?
“Ein Bier… bitte.”