Wisconsin natives and sludge/doom metal lords Cavernlight have returned after five long years with a stellar sophomore release—As I Cast Ruin Upon The Lens That Reveals My Every Flaw. If you are already familiar with this band, you know that they do not skimp on album titles. As this release’s poetic title suggests, the album is full of angsty darkness that is sure to appeal to neurodivergent metal fans such as myself. While the tunes are crushingly heavy, there is a catharsis to it resulting in a beautifully expressive album which will resonate with many listeners. As I Cast Ruin… brings everything Cavernlight offered in their debut while expanding on soundscapes and programming created movements. There are no dull moments and many unique compositions to make this album one-of-a-kind and an excellent continuation of the band’s journey.Continue reading
Whole lot of content these days. It’s a good thing, overall.
- Let’s start by checking in with Cavernlight. As we all know by now, As I Cast Ruin Upon The Lens That Reveals My Every Flaw is out on May 13th through Translation Loss. And today, the band revealed the third and final single off that album, “Gaze Into The Glow And Drift Into Time”, which is available over at Metal Injection.
- Canadian black metal project SVNEATR have signed on with Prosthetic Records, where they’ll release their third album in the near future. Additionally, they have a tour run through Canada coming up in June. So make sure to take advantage of that if the opportunity presents itself.
- Spiritus Mortis have announced a new album, The Great Seal, which will be released through Svart Records this coming September. Check out the music video for “Death’s Charioteer” right now.
- Over at Nuclear Blast, Bleed From Within released their third single, with music video, for “Stand Down”. Their new album, Shrine, is out on June 3rd.
- We’ll wrap up the day (and for me, the week), with the latest new material from Denouncement Pyre. Check out the new video for “Hung Like Swine” below. Forever Burning is out on June 17 through Agonia Records.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
As of today, long run season is officially upon us again.
- We’ll lead off with Cavernlight, and their powerful new track. “The Ashes of Everything I’ve Failed to Be” is streaming over at Brooklyn Vegan. That, of course, it taken from their sophomore full-length, As I Cast Ruin Upon the Lens That Reveals My Every Flaw, which drops on May 13th through Translation Loss.
- Incite revealed a new visualizer for “War Soup”, which features Max Cavalera. Give it a watch here. Wake Up Dead drops on April 8th through Atomic Fire.
- Alexisonfire have an absolutely massive run of shows upcoming in 2022. Spreading from May until October, they cover most of United States, with appearances at a number of major festivals as well. Get all the dates and ticket information here.
- Apparently there are quite a few videos to catch up on today, and the next one comes from Kingdom Collapse. Here’s the clip for “Save Me From Myself”, the new single that’s available everywhere now.
- And Monday will end with some new Misery Index. I guess technically Friday ended with new Misery Index… but I wasn’t around to share it, so obviously that didn’t count. Anyway, here’s “The Eaters and the Eaten”. That’s the latest from Complete Control, which drops on May 13th through Century Media.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Today was far more tolerable. Absolutely incredible.
- Cavernlight are returning with their second album, As I Cast Ruin Upon The Lens That Reveals My Every Flaw, on May 13th. It will be out digitally and on vinyl through Translation Loss Records. They’re streaming the title-track over at Decibel, if you’re curious about what’s coming. Spoiler alert: we all are.
- There’s also a new album coming from Somali Yacht Club on April 22nd, titled The Space. Their third full-length will mark their debut through Season of Mist. The first single, Silver, is available for your listening pleasure here.
- And then we’ll send ourselves into the latter stages of the week with the always entertaining Undeath. Check out the video for “Head Splattered in Seven Ways”. That’s taken from It’s Time… To Rise From The Grave, their sophomore album which is set for an April 22nd release through Prosthetic Records.
- Tombs and Cloak have announced some co-headlining dates on the East Coast, running from April 5th through the 10th, with Restless Spirit in support. These are three awesome names, and everyone should try and get to one of these shows.
- We’ll close out with the new video from LANDMVRKS for “Suffocate”. That’s taken from Lost In The Waves (The Complete Edition), which is out on March 18th through Arising Empire.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
It was an honor joining the Nice Circles team this year. I started a series of posts called A Headbanger’s Journey that I hope to continue into 2018. Late to the party, I bought an absurd amount of music at the end of the year, much of it from the excellent Nine Circles coverage and I’m just now coming up for breath. In 2016 I went back in time to investigate the early death metal classics of the late 80’s/early 90’s and this year, I did the same with classic punk and hardcore. Both of those genres inform my current listening and are reflected in this list. So, let’s see where the rubber hits the road. Continue reading