Huh, it appears that I blinked and a whole year went by just like that. Luckily there was metal, a lot of it in fact, to the extent that none of the albums on my list ended up on our staff’s combined list, which shows just how much diversity there is, in terms of releases, genres and our respective tastes and preferences. With majestic hails to the bands whose releases enriched my life in the past 12 months, the following contains my 20 favorite albums of the year. I hope you will find something that intrigues, excites and animates you.Continue reading
Good morning and welcome to another exciting Nice Circles mixtape. This week, we bring you new singles from Iron Maiden, King Woman, Four Stroke Baron, and many, many more. Plus, classic Baroness, Bloc Party, and lo-fi sad boy jams to cover all your bases. Check it out at the link below.
We’ll see you in a couple of weeks; the mixtape is taking a short break while our intrepid Editor in Chief takes a much needed vacation.
- Cradle of Filth have announced a live stream event on Halloween, performed in St. Mary’s Church. This sounds… delightful. Get your tickets here. Side note: how is Halloween already a topic of discussion again? What a strange year.
- Clayman turned 20 today, and we all know In Flames celebrated the occasion with an anniversary edition of the record, complete with a few re-recordings. One of which was “Only For The Weak”. Say what you will about the new version, but this video hits me in all the nostalgic feels.
- Four Stroke Baron released a cover of Post Malone’s “Broken Whiskey Glass”, which sounds like a fun thing to include on a Friday. That’s one in a string of covers featured on the upcoming Monoqueen, which drops on September 25th through Prosthetic Records.
- So the latest Enslaved single, “Urjotun”, sure is something. Still an amazing something, obviously. The release of Utgard is getting closer… October 2nd through Nuclear Blast.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Hey! I’m finally done editing Fire In The Mountains photos! Now what do I do?
- Black Tusk have announced some November dates here in the U.S. with Child Bite. Mostly east coast stuff. They’ll also be on the road with Cloak next month in the midwest-ish, if that works better for you.
- This is terrible news, but it’s reported that a Slipknot fan died after falling in the mosh pit at the Chicago-area stop on the Knotfest Roadshow. The exact cause is still to be determined, but witnesses noted that he looked totally fine leading up to the incident. Sad, sad stuff.
- To switch gears, this is definitely on the lighter side. Nergal (and I believe the rest of his Behemoth bandmates) were booted from a YMCA while on the same Knotfest Roadshow. Not because, well, he’s Nergal. But because he was wearing a Darkthrone shirt, and when asked if he worshiped Jesus… you can probably figure it out. This is literally why I love wearing my Churchburn shirt everywhere.
- Four Stroke Baron have announced some live dates in the U.S. this coming November in conjunction with some fresh new live footage at Dogwater Studios. Check it out.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Hello. It’s me again, your old pal. You’ll have to excuse my absence, I was off having the time of my life at Fire in the Mountains in Wyoming this past weekend. Three straight days of camping, music, revelry, and the most glorious nature I’ve experienced in all my life added up to be one of the best weekends I’ve had in as long as I can remember. More about my experiences there might be coming later on down the line, provided our own Corey Butterworth makes it back from backpacking in the Tetons alive. But if you’re curious as to what my weekend was like, I included some choice cuts from some of my favorite sets in our weekly roundup playlist; it is Saturday after all, and that’s why we’re here. Alongside my own picks are some of the best new tracks that this week has given us, plus just about whatever else floats our collective boat. Tune in, turn the volume up, and get your weekend started right.