Supergroups in extreme metal take on a whole other meaning when it’s comprised of Dave Witte, Mathias “Vreth” Lillmåns, and Phil Hall. Those names are synonymous with some of the best offerings extreme metal has to offer. And now with Morbikon, this supergroup crosses the threshold of 90s era Scandinavian black metal and melodic death metal on their debut Ov Mournful Twilight. To say this album rips would be a gross understatement, but with its membership this should surprise no one. Buke recently spoke to Phil “Landphil” Hall, who handles guitar and bass here, for a wide ranging chat about the band, the album, how it all came to be, and so much more. We now bring you this conversation in its entirety so grab your beverage of choice and enjoy.Continue reading
Let me tell you folks, it’s been a WEEK. I need this more than you know. Today’s pairing is Fucked Up’s Oberon and Whiner Beer Company’s Hop Tub. Drink from the cup of heresy, indeed.Continue reading
Champions League… Work… Champions League… Work…
- Morbikon, the blackened death metal trio featuring members of Municipal Waste and Finntroll, are releasing Ov Mournful Twilight through Tankcrimes on October 28th. Give “Cursed to March on Shattered Limbs” over at Decibel.
- Allegaeon have announced their new (old) vocalist, welcoming Ezra Haynes back to the group. Since Elements of the Infinite is still my favorite Allegaeon record, I’m fine with this. Catch them on the European road this coming November with Rivers of Nihil, Fallujah, and more.
- Power metallers Unleash The Archers are releasing a fifth anniversary edition of Apex on November 18th, which will feature reimagined versions of tracks like “Falls Walls”, which you can hear transformed into “Falsewave” here.
- Tribulation unveiled a new standalone single, “Hamartia”, the video for which can be seen below. That’s their first new material since last year’s Where The Gloom Becomes Sound, and precedes their upcoming European tour with Abbath and Watain.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Monday tends to be a slow one. Let’s see if that remains a trend.
- Black metal entity Bizarrekult revealed a new single titled “Kongen”, taken from their upcoming new album, Den Tapte Krigen. That one will be out through Season of Mist sometime next year. Additionally, they’ll be supporting Der Weg einer Freiheit on a brief European tour this month.
- Pivoting to a little hardcore, Fucked Up released a video for “Oberon”, the title track from their new EP. That one drops on October 7th through Tankcrimes, if you weren’t previously aware.
- Couple quick tours to touch on. First, Artificial Brain has a few dates up here in the Northeast with Succomb and Luminous Vault this coming November. In case you missed it, their self-titled third album dropped in July through Profound Lore.
- And we’ll wrap up Monday with a little thrash. Warbringer hit the road tomorrow for a run of shows with Heathen and Misfire, and to celebrate the occasion they dropped a new music video for “Crushed Beneath The Tracks”, a track taken from Weapons of Tomorrow, available through Napalm Records. Give it a watch below.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
This is a rushed post because I have things to do tonight, so my apologies for any clumsiness in advance.
- We’ll start with the latest addition to the Century Media roster. Distant have announced their new deal with the label, and are marking the occasion with a new track titled “Exofilth”. Give it a listen here, and let’s keep an eye out for future album news.
- Fucked Up are releasing a new EP on October 7th through Trankcrimes, titled Oberon. The four track collection can be pre-ordered here, but “Strix” has been available for a couple weeks now. So, you know, have at it and stuff.
- Need some black metal in your Monday? Check out the latest from Vananidr. Beneath The Mold drops on October 28th through Black Lion Records, and a new track titled “Awake” can be streamed early here.
- Ukrainian sludge rock trio Stoned Jesus shared a new track, titled “CON”, and that’s how we’re going to end the day. That sample is taken from Fatherlight, which will be released at some point next year… through Season of Mist, I anticipate.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”