Calgary heavyweights WAKE dropped their fifth full-length, Devouring Ruin, on March 27. The album marks a further sonic departure for the one-time grindsters; this time out, the quintet serves up a compelling amalgam of black-, death-, post- and everything in between. The album’s gotten a ton of acclaim since its release, and that extends to the crew here at Nine Circles — with a couple of folks even calling it an early Album of the Year contender.
As we slip further into the abyss, I fully believe metal will be the savior to it all. Obviously not but it will give us all a good soundtrack to keep us occupied. Oh, by the way, GOOD JOB last Friday hitting Bandcamp in droves and helping artists, do that more. Really, a lot more. And on that note, there’s a ton of stuff to throw money at this week starting with the always razor sharp grind of Wake but on this new one they have bested all their back catalog, Angerot brings some serious death and black metal on their sophomore effort, Temple of Void show how true, heavy doom is done, and Demonic Death Judge reek havoc in the sludge / stoner arena. See? Plenty of hits already and there’s TONS more below so get to it. Stay safe and well, friends. Continue reading
Only one of these this week because reasons.
- Fire In The Mountains updates, obviously! Wayfarer, Hexvessel, and DBUK added to next year’s lineup. Not too much of a surprise with a couple of those, but killer all the same.
- The third annual INKcarceration Music and Tattoo Festival is set for July 10-12 in Mansfield, Ohio. Headliners this coming year are Limp Bizkit (still a thing), Blink-182 (also still a thing), and Weezer (I think you get the idea). Still, this looks fun and I’d love to go some year.
- Wake (who some of us at 9C really like a lot) have a new full-length album coming out on March 27th via Translation Loss Records. It will be called Devouring Ruin, and you can listen to a new track called “This Abyssal Plain” right now.
- Enthroned have released a new music video for “Aghoria”, a track featured on this past June’s Cold Black Suns. I like Enthroned. Let’s watch this together.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Receiving the Evcharist is our weekly feature where we pair choice albums with our favorite libations. Drink from the cup of heresy. This week’s offering: Teeth’s The Curse of Entropy and The Kraken Rum. Continue reading
So that Batushka news dropped yesterday, and I realize I’m not even sure which Batushka that was referring to… I basically just picture that Spiderman pointing meme when their name comes up now.
- In case anyone is going to Psycho Las Vegas this year, here is your day-by-day lineup list. Also, I’m jealous. August will be here sooner than you know. Some form of tickets are on sale now as well.
- In more festival news, Wacken Metal Battle USA 2019‘s National Final goes down on May 25th. One of Dissentience, Monarch, Nahaya, Toxic Ruin, and Violence System will earn the right to play at W.O.A. 2019. D-O-P-E-Dope.
- The new Saint Vitus album drops tomorrow, but in case you can’t wait quite that long, you can stream the whole thing now. Hey, a day early is still a day early.
- It’s been a solid decade or so new material came out from Cable, and I’m proud to say that wait is about to come to an end. Take The Stairs To Hell will be out July 26th through Translation Loss Records. Better yet, we get a new track called “Rivers of Old” right now.
And now, back to Batushka.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”