To me, Friday felt like the first real day of this year’s Maryland Deathfest. (No disrespect to Thursday’s performers at all; I just only saw three of them, so for my personal experience, it felt more like a prologue of sorts.) For the first time — absent the opportunity for parking lot hangs, crushed beer-can BBQing and other outdoor shenanigans — it’d be all metal straight through, from the late afternoon to the earliest part of the morning. Let’s get to it! Continue reading
Well, it’s November all of a sudden and we are hours away from the dreaded time change, aka HELL. But also, mere days away from the election and hopefully all of the bitterness and vitriol will subside once this is over, maybe? Or maybe not? Anyway, on to the matter at hand, new metal to be exact. And — as usual — we have you covered here on Initial Descent. Melodic death metal veterans Dark Tranquillity return with their triumphant eleventh full length Atoma, Cóndor evokes classic heavy metal on Sangreal, on Utter the Tongue of the Dead, Void Meditation Cult scare the hell out of everyone with their extremely blackened death metal (yes, this tag is actually warranted for once), Vader keep the flame of death metal burning on The Empire, HammerFall continue their tradition of glorious power metal on Built To Last, and Deathspell Omega thankfully jumped the gun with the digital release of their glorious black metal EP, The Synarchy of Molten Bones. All that and much more to come, after the jump. Continue reading
“I don’t want your opinion, I don’t need your ideas. Stay the fuck out of my face, stay away from me. I am my own God, I do as I please.”
- Well, here’s a massive new tour. Children Of Bodom, supported by Abbath, Exmortus, and Oni. I would definitely be at this show… if there was a Boston date. Alas.
- Scary stuff at a recent Megadeth show. During an August 20th kick in Paraguay, Megadeth had to exit the stage early after a barricade was was broken and fans began throwing glass bottles. Can we honestly get our shit together humanity?
- All Behemoth updates make their way onto Nine Circles. At least when I have a say in the matter. According to Orion, the band will be taking their time with the next release. There were whispers about 2017 bringing us some new material. According to the bassist, that may be the case, but there is no targeted time frame.
- Let’s keep the Metallica updates coming as well. According to Lars, the legends will be looking to do some serious touring in the United States come 2017. Might I finally go see them? …I have no idea.
- Vader has a new lyrics video for “Prayer to the God of War”. Go watch it and stuff.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Hey kids. I’m technically late with this because I’m at Migration Fest, but you know what? As I’m writing this, it’s only 9:45 AM out here in Olympia, Washington, so you can suck it. We’ll keep it quick because I’ve got a lot more to get to today — namely, exploring, festival stuff, beer drinking, etc. What’s coming out this week? Well, the highlight is Mizmor, whose new full-length, Yodh, finally drops today. There’s also stuff from Equilibrium (who I definitely didn’t realize were still a band), Vader, and all manner of other things. Marsh Dweller also technically drops on Monday, but I’m gonna cover it this week, because it’s pretty cool. So take a little look below and see for yourself — here’s what we’ve got on tap: