Doom metal is typically comprised of the same elements and instruments to create the foggy dark sound of the genre’s namesake, but some bands like to change the game a bit and add in new sounds and instruments to make unique and dynamic compositions. While traditional doom metal is one of my favorite things and I adore the classic elements, it is fun to see bands experiment and add their own signature to the genre. Vouna is a musical project that does just that with their latest release Atropos.Continue reading
Good morning weekend warriors. On this edition of our Saturday morning mixtape we have a slew of new singles from Feminazgûl, Wolves in the Throne Room, Deafheaven, Lantlôs, and more. Plus, we’ve got a twenty-three minute jam care of our own Anton, some doom, and even the requisite screamo jam. Tune in down below.
Work is dumb. I leave for California in three days? Weird times.
- Let’s start with Wolves in the Throne Room, who released another new track from Primordial Arcana. Here’s a visualizer for “Spirit of Lightning”, which a whole new level of epic from Wolves. A reminder that their debut with Relapse Records is set for an August 20th release. Pre-order it here.
- Capra have announced a North American headlining tour, set to begin on October 4th. Support will be local for each of the 18 dates. Looks like more dates are going to be announced as well, which is cool. I expect to have a pretty full concert calendar this fall, and I’m not complaining.
- Down have announced the NOLA Town Throwdown, which will take place at the Fillmore in New Orleans on August 13th. In-person and virtual tickets are available as well. It’s nice of them to make this event accessible to those outside of NOLA, even though I would argue this is probably only worth attending in-person. Shrug emoji.
- Let’s wrap up with the new video from Year Of No Light for “Objurgation”. That track is, of course, taken from Consolamentum, which dropped on July 2nd through Pelagic Records.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
SATURDAY. Finally. What a week, right? But now it’s time for some R&R or whatever you’ve got on your plate for the weekend. And, whatever that is, we’ve got the soundtrack for it with this week’s mixtape of what we’ve been jamming since last Saturday. We’ve got new jams from Wolves in the Throne Room, Lantlos, Craven Idol, Perilaxe Occlusion, and Morgue Walker as well as some sorta new ones from Bodybox, Oathbreaker, Amenra, and Møl. Obviously, there’s more hiding under the hood so click on the play button below and crack that cold one, or get to doing whatever it is you’re doing. We got you.
Another day, another vinyl pre-order locked in.
- Deathwhite are already back in the studio, recording their third full-length, and following up the success of 2020’s Grave Image. This album will be titled Grey Everlasting, and there are plenty details to come… hopefully sooner rather than later.
- And then we have a new Zeal & Ardor video to share for “Run”. It’s unsettling. It’s awesome. It’s exactly what we both hope for and expect. Scoop up the track here, and watch the video here.
- A couple doom veterans will be hitting the road together this coming July and August. The Obsessed and The Skull announced a co-headlining tour through the U.S., starting with a July 29th date in Cleveland. Tickets are on sale now… somewhere.
- And we’ll close with probably he biggest news of the day. Wolves in the Throne Room have announced a new album, Primordial Arcana, which is set for an August 20th release through Relapse Records. Pre-orders are available here (among other places), and a video for the new track “Mountain Magick” is available below. It’s incredible.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”