Welcome to another edition of our weekly mixtape. On this mix, we’ve got a fair amount of variance coming at you, with tech-death from Ian, noise rock from Jon, all the new death metal picks from Josh, and screamo from…well, who else? You’ll find something to your taste here, so why not check these, and more, out at the link below? It’d kinda be rude not to at this point.
Death metal has seen a banner year. And, it’s seen a year that clearly divided the genre into swampy caveman ooze and extreme for the sake of extreme. Basically, whatever is your preference is out there and your favorite album awaits. This is the year for death metal fans and that’s the bottom line. Yes, I do realize we’re closing in on EOY season but for us, all that fun is held until, you know, the end of the year so why not broach some of the good shit now? Rhetorical, of course. As a reminder, last time we did this was for black metal and it was a silver platter of offerings so be sure to revisit that. Moving on, we do have rules for this piece. I hate rules. But, the only one for this Nine Circles ov… is that anything covered here can only be albums we haven’t covered in long form which leaves out Vitriol, Fluids, Tomb Mold, and several other holy-hell-top-notch albums. Be that as it may, there’s tons here to dig into from 2019 so get your shovel and dig until you hit the coffins.
“Life is your consciousness as you tame your wild beasts, when exhaustion is the currency that you must pay for sleep.”
I’ve decided to start introducing Canto with lyrics from whatever song I’m listening to as I compile these. I’m running out of witty bullshit to say every night. You get to guess the song.
- I know we teased this information sometime last year, but new details have emerged. Behemoth‘s Nergal will be releasing a new album this year. Except, well, it’s going to be country/blues. Very interesting, indeed.
- Remember when Darkest Hour were actually kinda big? Well, they’re not anymore really. In fact, they are crowdfunding to help support a new album. If you’re a fan, could be kinda cool to directly contribute to the cause.
- So efforts have been put in place to get a bronze statue of Lemmy put up at The Rainbow Bar and Grill. And now you can help contribute. And I thoroughly hope you do so.
- The 3rd wave of bands have been announced for New England Metal and Hardcore Festival. Oceano, Disentomb, and Carnivora have all been added. If that’s your thing. Spoiler alert: it’s not mine.
- Wild Throne have a new music video for “Fear Yourself.” Also not my thing, but I’m sure somebody out there will like it.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
I went home early from work today because of the 2ish inches of snow we’ve seen so far. Needless to say, productivity plummeted. Alas, we’ll get ’em next time. Now, let’s see what the metal world is up to.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”