Welcome back and happy Saturday everyone. Another week behind us, and I’m happy to see the other side of this one. I planned on spending this last week catching up with work after being away on vacation but it turns out that my mother gave me one last Christmas present: the goddamn plague. So this week has been mostly me, already sick, taking care of my partner, who got hit much harder than me with whatever bug we got passed to us. All my downtime did give me plenty of space to explore a ton of music though, both old and new. I’ve got some really exciting promos in my inbox that are making me happy, but I’ve also been catching up on late 2018 releases I’ve been missing, like a ton of releases from Sentient Ruin that I unfortunately slept on. Let me know what else I should have listened to in the comments. That’s what the internet is for, right?
Corey’s in Boston for the day, so I’ll be taking the Quickies this time around. Here’s what we missed in the metal world today:
- We’re a bit late in getting this on the blog, but Neurosis frontman Scott Kelly‘s wife, Sarah, has fallen ill with a mysterious, as-yet-undiagnosed condition, and a GoFundMe page has been started to help with their medical bills. If you’re able to donate, please do.
- So I’m gonna go out on a limb and assume that neither Axl nor Rob have actually heard the new Marilyn Manson album, because the only comments they can muster about dude’s upcoming summer tour with Smashing Pumpkins are “LOL 90s, AMIRITE GUYS?”
- In other tour news, Swedish hardcore punk crew Refused announced one today, too!
- Also in tours and Swedish: power proggers Evergrey are coming back Stateside toward the end of the summer as well.
- And finally, if you’ve had a hard day and want to feel better about yourself, listen to Mötley Crüe frontman Vince Neil butchering the national anthem at a Las Vegas Outlaws game:
I have no idea what the hell the Las Vegas Outlaws are, but if they’re going to treat us to garbage like this, that’s probably for the best. Anyway, that’ll do it for tonight. Check back tomorrow for more!
Keep it heavy,
Live. Love. Plow. Horns Up.
It’s the last day of September, which also happens to be new release Tuesday! Here’s what we’ll be checking out on this week’s episode:
September 30, 2014
Black Crown Initiate – The Wreckage of Stars (eOne)
Decapitated – Blood Mantra (Nuclear Blast)
Electric Wizard – Time to Die (Spinefarm)
Mr. Big – …The Stories We Could Tell (Frontiers)
There’s also new stuff dropping from 1349 and Evergrey, among others, but you know us–we unfortunately don’t have time for them this week. Anyway, take a listen to these for yourselves and check back later this week for our thoughts in Episode 23!
Live. Love. Plow. Horns Up.