Let me tell you folks, it’s been a WEEK. I need this more than you know. Today’s pairing is Fucked Up’s Oberon and Whiner Beer Company’s Hop Tub. Drink from the cup of heresy, indeed.Continue reading
Monday tends to be a slow one. Let’s see if that remains a trend.
- Black metal entity Bizarrekult revealed a new single titled “Kongen”, taken from their upcoming new album, Den Tapte Krigen. That one will be out through Season of Mist sometime next year. Additionally, they’ll be supporting Der Weg einer Freiheit on a brief European tour this month.
- Pivoting to a little hardcore, Fucked Up released a video for “Oberon”, the title track from their new EP. That one drops on October 7th through Tankcrimes, if you weren’t previously aware.
- Couple quick tours to touch on. First, Artificial Brain has a few dates up here in the Northeast with Succomb and Luminous Vault this coming November. In case you missed it, their self-titled third album dropped in July through Profound Lore.
- And we’ll wrap up Monday with a little thrash. Warbringer hit the road tomorrow for a run of shows with Heathen and Misfire, and to celebrate the occasion they dropped a new music video for “Crushed Beneath The Tracks”, a track taken from Weapons of Tomorrow, available through Napalm Records. Give it a watch below.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
This is a rushed post because I have things to do tonight, so my apologies for any clumsiness in advance.
- We’ll start with the latest addition to the Century Media roster. Distant have announced their new deal with the label, and are marking the occasion with a new track titled “Exofilth”. Give it a listen here, and let’s keep an eye out for future album news.
- Fucked Up are releasing a new EP on October 7th through Trankcrimes, titled Oberon. The four track collection can be pre-ordered here, but “Strix” has been available for a couple weeks now. So, you know, have at it and stuff.
- Need some black metal in your Monday? Check out the latest from Vananidr. Beneath The Mold drops on October 28th through Black Lion Records, and a new track titled “Awake” can be streamed early here.
- Ukrainian sludge rock trio Stoned Jesus shared a new track, titled “CON”, and that’s how we’re going to end the day. That sample is taken from Fatherlight, which will be released at some point next year… through Season of Mist, I anticipate.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Happy Walpurgisnacht. That’s a thing with the metal community, right? I can’t keep up with your predilections. I think I hit the wall a few days ago listening to new music, stuff bouncing off me with little to no connection. Does everyone go through this? I’m sure it will come back, but for now I think I’m going to leave the 229th edition of the Nine Circles Playlist to the staff who have been going slow, hard, and deep into the metals for your weekly listening pleasure.
Vincent takes the lead this morning with some new Terzij de Horde and a little nugget from the last Deafheaven album. Then a surprise appearance from our Literati Overlord who has been over the moon with the new single from Saor. He also throws in some Nite, Dark Funeral, and a cut from site fave King Dude. Have you ever known Josh not to bring the ridiculously heavy? This week he comes in hot with Scepticflesh, Black Void, Unholy Pestilence, and Kanine. Anton can always be relied on to present new music, and he doesn’t disappoint with tracks from Spook the Horses, Final Light and Path of Might. Angela looks to challenge Josh for heaviest music with something from the new Mizmor/Thou collaboration, some Primitive Man (making its second appearance in two weeks), and a buzzing dose of punk and hardcore from the great Fucked Up before wrapping with some Astronoid. Finally Buke takes us home with a bevy of songs, including Iron Maiden, Pharmacist, Power Trip, Tom Waits, UFO, and some new Rammstein to close it up.
Get listening. Stay safe. See you next week.
That’s it: we’re officially in End of Year™ territory now. The big guns are coming out, as Decibel Magazine preemptively shared their Top 40 of 2021 prior to publication in the vain hopes of staving off blogs who simply post the list for views. I’d rather give them the props and the views, so head over there to check it out. In the meantime I’m on my fifth listen of the new Stormkeep and debating how high to have it on my own list. Because yeah…it’s gonna be there.
But enough of that. Welcome to Volume 206 of the Nine Circles Playlist, where we may or may not have some music that will appear on own own lists. In addition to our fearless editor Josh priming the pump with Stormkeep he’s heavily digging the latest from Hypocrisy and Sanguisugabogg. Angela has fallen hard for the hardcore punk coming from Fucked Up and the murky psychedelic cosmic stoner sounds of Tortuga. Buke never fails to bring the classic heavy to the list, so buckle up for some new retro courtesy of Haunt and Traveler as well as old school flavor from Judas Priest. Jon emerges from the snowy depths of the Great North to champion new stuff from Archspire and Every Time I Die. Vincent wallows in the despair of heavier fare from Emma Ruth Rundle, Lantlôs, and Dream Unending. As for me? I’m sitting here in the CLOUDS with Enslaved, digging the skramz of Warren of Ohms, and am in hook line and sinker with Josh about the new single from outlaw country bastard Paul Cauthen.
Country as Fuck, folks. No better way to close out the playlist this week. See you next time!