Look at that pic up there. Gets the yearning burning for cooler weather and haunting season. Yes, haunting…as in Halloween and early fall. Hooded Menace know a thing or two about scaring the shit out of people with their deathdoom but with this week’s release they also show an 80s heavy metal side that we’ve yet to hear in this capacity…and it’s freakin’ killer. Next up in this list of new metal is Oxygen Destroyer who get the lead out with an “all genres on deck” approach to extreme metal, and again, killer release. Then we’ve got heavy metal champs Spirit Adrift with a very short EP that expands just a bit on their last release and furthers their journey into being one of metal’s current greats. Last, but not least, is deathpunkers Nunslaughter who literally kick ass and take names on their first utterance in seven years and first without drummer Jim Sadist (RIP)…and, you guessed it, another quality album. All that and a ton more to follow, so dive in skull first.Continue reading
Good morning and welcome to another Saturday morning mixtape. We’re full to bursting with a bunch of new singles this week, including tracks from two new Gilead Media releases, Succumb, Every Time I Die, and…god this is hard to even type…an Archspire song I really, actually like. I know, it surprised me too. Check all that and more out below.
Today was a long, weird day. Probably because the world is on fire, but that’s just speculation.
- We’ll start with the recently announced Chevelle tour dates. Those are U.S. dates that run from September 1st through November 21st. Naturally, this tour supports the recently released new album, Niratias, which is out now through Epic Records.
- Slipknot have announced Knotfest Los Angeles, which will take place on November 5th at Banc Of California Stadium. That will be headlined by, well, Slipknot… but also Bring Me The Horizon, Killswitch Engage, among others. Tickets go on sale this week at this location.
- Black metal collective Aussichtslos have set September 30th as the international release date for Einsicht. Their second album will be available through Purity Through Fire on CD, with a vinyl run coming sometime in the future. Check out a new track, titled “Flächenbrand”, right now.
- Hooded Menace dropped a new video, and that sounds like the ideal way to wrap up Monday. “Those Who Absorb The Night” is taken from The Tritonus Bell, which is set for an August 27th release through Season of Mist. Pre-order it here, if you feel so inclined.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Alright, let’s see if things normalize a bit this week. Not likely.
- I’m going to kick things off with a personal favorite. Krigsgrav, the blackened doom project out of Dallas, have revealed the first single from The Sundering, titled “The Sun No Longer Reaches Here”. And it is absolutely vicious. That album drops on August 6th through Wise Blood Records. Pre-order it here.
- And then we’ll jump over to Hooded Menace, who shared “Chime Diabolicus”, a new track taken from their upcoming new album, The Tritonus Bell. That one is set for an August 27th release through Season of Mist.
- Halestorm have added some summer and fall headlining and festival dates, which coincide with that massive tour with Evanescence. Those start in July and run into December. Get the full schedule, and tickets, here.
- Netherbird will release their sixth full-length album, titled Arete, on August 6th through Eisenwald (a label I’ve become a huge fan of recently). Check out the new track, “Towers of the Night” right here.
- We’ll close with Lacuna Coil, who released another new live track and video. This one is for “Veneficium”. That is, of course, taken from Live From The Apocalypse, which drops this coming Friday through Century Media.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Welcome to this week’s Nine Circles Saturday morning mixtape playlist. This week, we’ve got Grey Aura‘s abstract black metal, the newest single from death metal stalwarts Hooded Menace, classic Batushka (from before there were, like, 80 of them), and much more. All available, free of charge, at the link below. Unless you feel like giving us your credit card information. We’ll gladly take it.