What a year. It’s hard to believe that most of the hubbub and fervor of the last few years is fading into the background (read: not gone, not even a little bit). I feel like for once I had so much going on outside of sitting at home that I felt like it was a little hard to keep up with everything that came out this year, but nonetheless, there were a ton of albums that captivated me and kept me company, and we’re going to start with the honorable mentions. You get it by now: these albums are fantastic, but I only have room in my personal tops for nine albums, so don’t feel like I’m shortchanging any of these. Without further ado, here we go:Continue reading
When talking about Kardashev, the tag du jour is deathgaze which pretty much hits the nail on the head. However, it, in a small way, minimizes the death metal side to their attack. Debut Peripety was both heavy in a musical sense but also an emotional sense, but new album Liminal Rite smacks the gas pedal on the death metal side and then slowly pulls you down the emotional slope with a funereal feel that casts a dark shadow over the proceedings. A good thing, to be sure. Buke recently sat down with vocalist Marc Garrett and guitarist Nico Mirolla to pull the curtain back on the new album as well as the band itself. We now bring you this conversation in its entirety so grab your beverage of choice, a seat, and enjoy.Continue reading
It’s hard to imagine a band blowing up more than Kardashev right now. Between their musical grind, which includes the astounding The Baring of Shadows from last year, their signing to Metal Blade Records, keeping the YouTube and Twitch games on lock, and all of the behind-the-scenes work they have done to bring their brand of beautiful, heavy music into the future, the self-styled “deathgaze daddies” seem to be just over the precipice of being household names. Liminal Rites, their debut for the aforementioned new label, sees them realize all of this potential in a big, beautiful way.Continue reading
As I write this it’s a few short hours until the next Record Store Day. I’m not normally the type to burst to my LRS in the dawn light just to snag an overpriced variant, but when you have sweet reissues from Opeth and Voivod, plus the debut of The Lord from Greg Anderson, well…you know I have to set the alarm for that, right?
So yeah…we’re gonna kick off the 228th edition of the Nine Circles Playlist with what you can expect from those heavyweights, but we got more of the concrete coming straight for your head. Anton welcomes new music from Exocrine, Misanthropic Rage, and Ufomammut to the playlist while Josh doubles down on the brutality with Black Braid, Crypticus, Paganizer, Butchers Burial and a killer new track from site favorite Spirit Adrift. Vincent is knee-deep in his Pyrithe review, so he’s serving up some of their music along with Ultha, Orville Peck, and some classic New Order. Ian returns to the playlist with some Kardashev and Gojira, along with a healthy dose of the Pixies and some Planning for Burial. Angela is digging the latest from Tribulation and…wouldn’t you know it? For the first time, so am I! And she also has Mountaineer and Telekinetic Yeti bringing up the rear for this week.
Get listening. Stay safe. See you next week.
To reference Nathan Explosion, summer (or spring) colds are the worst.
- When Spirit Adrift announces new things, it’s only right that we start with that. 20 Centuries Gone, a collection featuring two new tracks along with six covers, will be out on August 19th through Century Media. Check out the premiere of “Sorcerer’s Fate” here. It’s predictably awesome.
- Arizona deathgaze crew Kardashev are releasing a new full-length on June 10th through Metal Blade, titled Liminal Rite. They shared a vocal playthrough for “Compost Grave-Song”, and preorders for the album are available here.
- And then we have Severe Torture, who have emerged from a 12 year long hiatus. Their new EP, Fisting the Sockets, drops on June 10th through Season of Mist. Check out the title-track from that effort right here.
- Next up we’ll explore some psychedelic thrash, in the form of Sadistic Ritual. Check out the premiere of “Maelstrom of Consciousness” over at Distorted Sound. The Enigma, Boundless is set for a May 20th release through Prosthetic Records.
- Lastly, here’s the latest from Blut Aus Nord, “Tales Of The Old Dreamer”. Disharmonium – Undreamable Abysses is out on May 20th through Debemur Morti Productions.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”