Masters of shoegaze, Low Flying Hawks, have returned with their third full-length release and final part of their musical trilogy centering on the ancient Greek myth of Sisyphos, King of Corinth. The story is of the trickster king who cheated death twice and was then punished by the gods to spend eternity pushing a massive rock up a hill. Every time he neared the top, the rock slipped and rolled back down for him to start the grueling process over again. This conclusion album titled Fuyu means “winter” in Japanese and centers on the ups and downs and struggle of life. It is an emotive and beautiful album that stands perfectly on its own while also acting as the last piece of the puzzle in the band’s five-year long project.Continue reading
Tour announcements all over the place today!
- Starting with Cloak who are touring the U.S. with Demiser this coming October and November. I know one Nine Circler that’s going to be PSYCHED about this one. Well, two. Throw me in that bucket. Tickets can be acquired here. Both of these bands rule, so go do that.
- And then we have Heavy Temple, another band I enjoy immensely. This is a shorter run of shows, but they have some U.S. dates in August and early September. They’ll be supporting their new album, Lupi Amoris, which dropped back in June through Magnetic Eye Records.
- Yatra have signed on with Prosthetic Records, and are currently in the studio working on their label debut and follow-up to 2020’s All Is Lost. They also have a run of dates lined up in August and September, a few of which are with High Reeper… which kicks ass.
- Combichrist has announced the second leg of their fall tour dates, with King 810, Davey Suicide, and Modern Mimes. Those dates kick off October 18th in Seattle, and runs through November 6th in Akron. The first leg of that tour starts September 19th, so lots of Combichrist this coming fall.
- Polish black metal crew Misanthur have set October 15th as the release date of Ephemeris. Their debut will be out through Season of Mist Underground Activists, and you can check out the first single taken from that album below, titled “Black Clouds & No Silver Linings”.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
It appears that I won’t need to scramble to get this out in a timely fashion today!
- We’ll start with Hooded Menace, who have announced new album details along with a new single. The Tritonus Bell will be out on August 27th through Season of Mist, and the new track (which is a beast) is titled “Blood Ornaments” and can be streamed here.
- A couple of announcements from Cold Cave today. First, we’re getting a re-release of 2010’s Cherish The Light Years through Heartworm Press, which will be available officially on September 3rd. Secondly, that album will be performed in its entirety in Los Angeles and New York on August 28th and September 25th, respectively. Tickets available at those links. Cool stuff.
- We got new Heavy Temple. A new video single, “A Desert through the Trees”, is available now. That track is taken from their debut full-length, Lupi Amoris, which is set for a June 18th release through Magnetic Eye Records.
- And we’ll wrap up our Wednesday with the new video from Fractal Universe for “Symmetrical Masquerade”. That one is taken from The Impassable Horizon, their new album which is slated for a June 25th release through Metal Blade Records. Pre-order it here.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
I doubt the inbox is as exciting as it was yesterday, but I’m sure there’s still plenty going on. Let’s see…
- We’ve got another offering from Black Label Society, that once again celebrates the None More Black box. This is a reworked version of “House of Doom”, which is obviously featured in that collection. Once again, if you have some cash to burn, here is the order link through eOne.
- Magnetic Eye Records have announced a live stream event called “The Day of of Doom”, set for May 15th. The event will include performances by Heavy Temple, Domkraft, Howling Giant, and more. Should be a good time. Here’s the event link if you’re interested.
- Beyond Man have set June 21st as the release of their self-titled debut through The Sinister Flame. What is that exactly? We’ll find out soon with the first track premiere. For now, we’ll focus on the album art and track listing. Sounds dark and brutal either way, which is all we can ask for.
- And we’ll close with the new track and video from Ophidian I for “Diamonds”. Desolate will be out on July 16th through Season of Mist.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Why are the short weeks always the god damn longest?
- Heavy Temple, a name I’m thrilled to be talking about again, have released the first single from their new album. Lupi Amoris is set for a June 18th release through Magnetic Eye Records (pre-order link, of course), and you can stream “The Maiden” right now.
- Vulture have also shared information about their new album. Dealin’ Death will be released on May 21st through Metal Blade Records, and you can pre-order that here, while also checking out the new video for “Malicious Souls”. I encourage doing both.
- Accordion playthroughs don’t emerge often, but when they do, it makes complete sense that it would be Korpiklaani sending them our way. Check out the clip for “Huolettomat”, a track taken from Jylhä, right here.
- Lastly, the new music video from melodic death metallers The Absence. Check out “Choirs of Sickness” immediately below, a new single from Coffinized. Their 5th studio release will be out on June 25th through M-Theory Audio.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”