Another Saturday and another chance to look behind the veil of what we’ve been jamming recently. Let’s face it, the world is shit right now BUT, shit in, shit out. So, how about we all hit play at the same time and just float away on the ether of the latest from doombringers Pallbearer, or metalcore from Jesus Piece and FINALLY some new Raging Speedhorn. Same can be said for the new Of Feather and Bone joint and a new funeral doom epic from Frowning. All that and some classic 3 Inches of Blood and Power Trip and Vincent drops yet another The Mountain Goats track for good measure. But, that’s only the beginning so hit that play button below and float off somewhere better than where we are at the moment. Happy Saturday.
Good morning and welcome to another edition of our weekly mixtape series. This week, we have an episode dedicated solely to the music of Power Trip. The Texas thrash band’s vocalist Riley Gale passed away earlier this week, and has left an enormous hole in the extreme metal scene. Power Trip are an incredible band that made me remember that thrash was good after all, and Riley was a gifted performer and by all accounts a joy to be around. We at Nine Circles want to send our sincere condolences to Riley’s many friends and family, as well as other Power Trip fans like us grappling with this untimely loss. Music is what keeps us together in times like this, so celebrate the life of a great human being by digging in to our favorite cuts from his most famous band. There’s several full shows at the tail end of this playlist so we want to thank all of those entities that made these shows available for us to enjoy.
“Forced evolution to incite revolution, rewrite the rules to play the game.”
- Oceans Of Slumber have announced a new self-titled album which will be out on September 4th through Century Media Records. You can check out the first single and video, titled “A Return To The Earth Below”, right now.
- Power Trip have surprised us a new album, Live in Seattle 05.28.18, which is out now via Dark Operative. I recommend picking a copy up over at their Bandcamp site, but otherwise it’s available to stream pretty much everywhere.
- Vile Creature dropped a new video for the title track of their upcoming new album through Prosthetic Records, called Glory, Glory! Apathy Took Helm!, which will be available June 19th (a week from Friday).
- Arrival Of Autumn have released a new music video for “Apocalyptic”, which you can check out below. That one was taken from 2019’s Harbinger, which is available through Nuclear Blast.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
“As a traveler, I seek hospitality. As a wanderer, I seek immortality. As a journey through insanity, I seek divine comparity.”
- Arcturus will be streaming a live show on May 21st for free! Of course, you can donate to the cause (and you should, because… duh). Anyway, that takes place at 2:00 PM EST and will be viewable here.
- A couple new videos to share today, and the first comes from Body Count, for “Point The Finger”, which features Riley Gale of Power Trip. The video was shot entirely with the band members’ cell phones, and I approve of the improvisation.
- Temple Nightside have set August 7th as the release date for Pillars of Damnation, the fourth album for the blackened death metallers. That will be out through Iron Bonehead Productions, and you can hear the first track, titled “Death Eucharist” right now.
- And finally, we will end things with Wilderun performing a quarantine version of “Hope & Shadow”, a track taken from Sleep at the Edge of the Earth. At this point, I’m fairly certain that band can do no wrong.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”