I’ve really been itching to do a mid-year round-up for a while now, but I have a little bit of reservation about it. Mostly, I don’t really want to spoil anything for the end of the year, because it’s usually around this time that I find the one or two albums that I KNOW are going to top my December list, and this year feels no different. You gotta wait if you want the goods, but in the meantime, this edition of Nine Circles ov… is a list, in no particular order, of albums that I have been really enjoying this year. Some are metal, some are non-metal, some may keep their position until the end of the year and some might end up as honorable mentions, but none of them are the absolute top. Sorry, no spoilers, but these are still fantastic albums well worth the repeated listens I have given them.Continue reading
My Abbath-looking dog is god damn hyper. Unfamiliar territory. Anyway, Thursday news and shit I guess…
- We’ll kick off the evening with the new single from Animals As Leaders, titled “Gordian Naught”. That, of course, is the latest offering from Parrhesia, which is out on March 25th through Sumerian Records.
- Including new material from Amon Amarth feels like an obvious decision. Check out the new single and video for “Put Your Back Into The Oar”. It’s also available for purchase, if you want to add a picture disk to your collection.
- Germany’s atmospheric folk metal project Mosaic has announced a new album through Eisenwald. Heimatspuk will be out on all formats on April 22nd. Check out the brand new track, “Wir sind Geister”, to get a sense of what’s coming.
- And Without Waves also unveiled a new single today. “Sleight in Shadows” is the latest sample from their third album, Comedian, which drops on March 18th through Prosthetic Records.
- This Thursday round-up has had a very Friday feel. The video we’ll close with today comes from Ignite, for “This Day”. Their self-titled album drops on March 25th through Century Media.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Lots of tour announcements to get to today, so let’s jump right into it.
- We’ll start with Hypocrisy, a band who has alluded me for…ever. They’ll be touring North America in support of Worship in just a few short months. Those dates kick off on April 29th in Brooklyn, and wrap up on May 29th with a performance at MDF. They’ll be supported by Carach Angren, The Agonist, and Hideous Divinity. Purchase tickets here.
- In similar news, Animals As Leaders are also touring the U.S. in April in support of Parrhesia. Tickets go on sale this Friday here, and that album is set for a release on March 25th through Sumerian Records.
- Slipknot have announced the Knotfest Roadshow 2022. The first leg features In This Moment and Jinjer, with Cypress Hill and Ho99o9 joining the second leg. Basically, the whole thing runs from March through June, and tickets will be available here starting Friday.
- Soilwork has announced their new bassist. Rasmus Ehrnborn has officially stepped in full time, after featuring on A Whisp Of The Atlantic and recent live performances. Better still, it looks like we have new Soilwork coming this year.
- We’ll close out Tuesday with the new video from Boris for “Beyond Good and Evil”. W is out this coming Friday through Sacred Bones Records.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Last one this week. Probably not… let’s be real.
- Animals As Leaders have (finally) announced a new album. Parrhesia is set for a March 25th release through Sumerian Records, their first since 2016. Pre-orders are up here, and be sure to check out the video for the new track, “The Problem of Other Minds, here.
- We’ll move onto the news I’m most excited about today. Mizmor is releasing a new album on January 14th through Gilead Media titled Wit’s End, which will include exactly two tracks… both of which will be inevitably massive. Pre-order it here.
- I love me some Moon Tooth, so here’s some of that. They released an acoustic version of “Nymphaeaceae”, a track that was originally released back in October. It’s expectedly great in either form.
- And we’re going to close out with a couple items from the Season of Mist camp. First is Cynic, who dropped a new track and drum play-through, titled “In a Multiverse Where Atoms Sing”. That is, of course, taken from Ascension Codes, which is out a week from tomorrow.
- Finally, we have the new live video from Carnation for “Napalm Ascension”. That comes from the physical release of their Galaxy Studio Sessions performance, which can be pre-ordered here. That one is set for a January 7th release.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Well, that certainly was a week. However, three days to recover ain’t a bad gig so there’s that. Brother Vince might be mad at me for hijacking this week’s mixtape but, I couldn’t miss the opportunity to congratulate Demiser on signing with Blacklight Media / Metal Blade Records! Freakin’ stoked for them and can’t wait to see what the future holds. And for the mixtape, of course we’ve got the brand new joint from Demiser (obviously) but also new stuff from Archspire, Der Weg Einer Freiheit, Shy, Low, as well as Vitriol, Osi and the Jupiter, and many more so smash that play button below….