I will say this again, louder this time: Tamás Kátai has one of the most impressive and extensive musical catalogs, standing on par with the likes of both Devin Townsend and Colin Marston, which makes him one of the hardest-working musicians in this industry. Also, to no one’s surprise, I am here once again talking about my love for Thy Catafalque and how ecstatic I was when I heard that the band was releasing a new album. Having loved last year’s Naiv, I knew Vadak was going to exceed my expectations and further show how music can be expanded across textures, sounds, and atmosphere into a cohesive experience worth its runtime – a true avant-garde metal staple.Continue reading
Thy Catafalque hold the great distinction of simply sounding like no other band out there. Hot off the heels of their stunning 2020 release Naiv comes Vadak, and it’s no secret to say the entire 9C crew is in the bag for more twisting songs that break genre convention yet maintain a level of heaviness that will induce even the most discerning of metalheads to thrash with abandon.Continue reading
Happy Tuesday, everyone. I missed yesterday’s news because work was just that. much. fun.
- Let’s start with a tour, because seeing those again still makes me happy. August Burns Red have announced a headlining tour in celebration of the 10th anniversary of Leveler. Those dates are in September and October, with support provided by Fit For A King, Erra, and Like Moths To Flames. Tickets go on sale Friday here, and feel free to pick up a copy of that record here.
- Thy Catafalque dropped a new track today, and that’s always something worth sharing. This one is titled “Köszöntsd A Hajnalt”, another track taken from Vadak, which is set for a June 25th release through Season of Mist. Pre-order that record here… if you haven’t already.
- The biggest news of the day probably came from Slipknot, who have announced Knotfest Iowa 2021, as well as a return to the studio. Most importantly, that festival is set for September 25th, and will feature the likes of Trivium, Faith No More, Megadeth, and so many more. Get all the details at this location.
- The hits just keep coming today. We also got a new track from Zeal & Ardor, titled “Run”. That will be taken from a new, self-titled, album… details of which are still to come.
- And we’ll wrap up Tuesday with a new video from Space Chaser, which came with a new album announcement. Give Us Life is set for a July 16th release through Metal Blade Records, and the video for “Remnants of Technology” is immediately below. Enjoy.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Well. It appears my 2022 festival calendar is starting to fill up. Partly because…
- Hypocrisy and Atheist have been added to the Maryland Deathfest lineup, among others. I’ve missed Hypocrisy every time they’ve rolled through here since, well, forever. Time to undo all that. Tickets for the festival are available here.
- Sevendust have lined up an ambitious U.S. tour this coming June and July. I truly hope everything goes well, and it seems as though the intentions will be to follow state guidelines… but we all know how well that has been going. Fingers crossed either way, because I fucking miss shows.
- Minneapolis-based hardcore/grind collective Wanderer are releasing their debut LP, Liberation From A Brutalist Existence, on June 18th. Check out the in-studio performance of “Contented” here.
- Thy Catafalque revealed a new track today, titled “Szarvas”. That one, of course, is taken from Vadak, which is out on June 25th through Season of Mist.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
I don’t even know where to start today, there is so much going on.
- We knew this was coming, but at least we have something specific to talk about now. At The Gates have officially announced that their new album, The Nightmare Of Being, will be released on July 2nd through Century Media Records. Pre-orders won’t start until the end of the month, however, so we’ll keep this on our radar until then.
- This Roadburn Redux keeps getting better. This was somewhat hinted at, but now we have confirmation that there will be a “Pelagic Presents” segment that will feature performances by The Ocean, Crown, Year of No Light, and more. Cannot wait for this.
- Thy Catafalque, the project that never takes a break (not a complaint), has announced a new album slated for a June 25th release. Vadak, the tenth album in the library, will be available through Season of Mist. Check out the first single and video, “Piros-sárga”, right now.
- Tetrarch released a pretty damn heavy new single and video today, titled “Negative Noise”, so we can close with that. That track is taken from Unstable, which is out on April 30th through Napalm Records.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”