For this episode we go all in with most of the staff for our best of 2020 picks. We hit the high notes of what tickled our fancies for the year that was a shitstorm and even welcomed in a new member to the family. So, buckle up for an epic episode that has a wealth of stuff you may have missed and be sure to take notes, artists we mention need your support so open up those wallets and purses.Continue reading
If you remember from last year, I had this to say as I closed my 2019 EOY list:
In the meantime, 2020 looks to be tumultuous as well, but things are looking up, as I have music to look forward to and scream about at some point. Maybe, at the end of the year, I can tell you if I have succeeded in making more selective choices in music.
2020 gave us a roundhouse kick to the collective bollocks, didn’t it? In my case, it kicked me in the face and didn’t let me listen to anything – this pandemic has been bad for my mental health, and it didn’t help that grad school has continued to essentially take all my time and joy away from me. After September of this year, I just went off the radar musically and I found – much to my detriment – that I could only listen to albums I had originally invested a lot of time in. As such, my favorite albums this year are all touchstones of comfort, albums that I enjoyed heavily throughout the year. However, there is an album that made its way through these touchstones and was able to move to a spot that I didn’t think it would reach.
Welcome back to the pit of despair that has exacerbated my depression EOY list season!Continue reading
I didn’t expect to have time for this today. Yet, here I am…
- Killswitch Engage guitarist Joel Stroetzel had to step away from the current tour to attend a family emergency. Of course, our thoughts are with the dude and we hope everything turns out ok on the home front. The band’s production manager, Josh Mihlek, will take over for the next couple shows.
- Insomnium studio update! The melodic death metallers out of Finland are hard at work on their next album, which they expect to drop this coming fall. It has been a few years since Winter’s Gate was released, so I’m curious to see what direction they go in from there.
- Bring Me The Horizon have been forced to cancel the remaining dates on their current U.S. tour. Frontman Oli Sykes ruptured his vocal chord and, well, that makes what he does a bit of a challenge. I’m not a BMTH fan by any means (although I admittedly didn’t hate their set at Wacken 2014), but we still hope he recovers quickly.
- Hey look, a new music video from Clutch. It’s for “Ghoul Wrangler” and it’s a lot of fun. K bye.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Good morning ladies, fellas, and the people that don’t give a fuck. We’re going to keep this short and sweet today because once again I am behind on time, somehow. Even though my work week got cut short (thank you massive server error), it only meant I had to spend my free time doing all the important errands I had been putting off. But now there’s breakfast, coffee, my car doesn’t make quite as many weird sounds as it used to, and of course there’s good music to get me pumped on yet another rainy Southern California day. Lets hope this gets your weekend off to a good start too.
“I saw the virgin’s cunt spawning forth the snake. I witnessed tribes ov Judah reduced to ruin. I watched disciples twelve dissolved by flame. Looked down on son ov god snuffed in vain.”
- Skeletonwitch make beer now! Or at least… they help! They’ve teamed up with Three Floyd Brewing to bring you a “Red Death Sour Beer”. Mmmm, sours.
- So I guess members of Bring Me The Horizon are climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro. They are doing it for charity, so that’s kinda cool.
- Former AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd has revealed that he recently suffered from a heart attack. I know it has been a tough year or so for the dude, but that’s rough.
- Alcest released another new song from their upcoming Kodama (out September 30th) called “Je Suis D’ailleurs”. Enjoy.
- Finally, here’s a fun music video from Allegaeon for “All Hail Science”. Fun fact: it was shot at a brewery.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”