Walk a little faster. Try not to think about the ominous sounds of gnawing coming from the dark, or the disjointed, wicked shadows splayed on walls lit only by a dim and fast fading street light. And whatever you do, for God’s sake don’t look behind you as Blood Red returns once again, coming closer and closer…
For the sixth year total and third year here at Nine Circles, I’m taking up the gauntlet thrown down over at Letterboxd.com by the Grand Conjuror of the Guignol Cinemonster and participating in his diabolical Hoop-Tober marathon. Once again we light the ritual candles, gather our instruments and slide forth into the darkness to strike the killing blow. And best of all?
It’s starting right now, September 15th.
As always, you can find my complete list here, and if you’re a fan of horror I encourage you to join in the bloody fun. The rules for this year are listed below, along with screenshots of my target films for the marathon. So sign up for a free Letterboxd account and link your list in the comments of Cinemonster’s kickoff post. Don your favorite dead skin mask, press <PLAY> on your killing music and plunge headlong into the dark night of the long knives…
RULES: 31 films watched and reviewed. Film selection must include:
- 6 countries
- 6 decades
- 6 films from before 1966
- 6 films whose year ends in ‘6’
- 6 films featuring work from the following: John Carl Buechler, Jack Pierce, Rob Bottin, Screaming Mad George, Lon Chaney and Carlo Rambaldi
- The 6th film of a franchise
- 1 Reptile Rampage film as tribute to Crawl
- 2 women directed films
- The lowest rated film from the 80s that you can access.
- 1 film where the men and women of the church are having a bad day.
- 1 Larry Cohen or Dick Miller film
- 1 Classic Universal
- 1 film with Dee Wallace in it.
- 1 film with a black director or predominantly black cast. (NO JORDAN PEELE)
- 1 film from a Mexican director to honor 2 great films from Gigi Saul Guerrero & Issa López. (NO GDT, but it can be GSG or Issa)
- And 1 Tobe Hooper Film (There must ALWAYS be a Hooper film)
***FOR THOSE THAT LIKE TO DO EXTRA WORK: WATCH Horror Noire and Innocent Blood***
My tentative list, which hits all the rules above:
Like last year, check back every Sunday for recaps, thoughts, and more as we dive into some classics, pulpy b-grade fun, and more than likely a few clunkers. And again like last year, if there’s anything you’d like to see covered, let me know: as long as I can adhere to the rules, the films themselves are flexible.
Until then, keep it Blood Red.
* The chair tower in question comes from the excellent French Canadian zombie film Ravenous, which is available on Netflix if you’re so inclined.
One thought on “Blood Red: Hoop-Tober 6(66) is Back to Haunt You With the Chair Tower”