Welcome to a special s p o o k y Saturday edition of the Nine Circles Playlist. To celebrate the fact that Halloween is right around the corner, we decided to include not only the songs we’ve been jamming this week, but also some of the staff’s favorite horror movie clips. If you’ve ever wanted to get even further into the minds of the people who write for this site, that you’ve come to know and love (hopefully), then today’s your lucky day. Or who knows, maybe you just want something that’ll scare you senseless first thing in the morning. It be like that sometimes.
Thrills, chills, and a whole lot of riffs await you below.
I hope you assholes voted today.
“Ein Bier… bitte.”
Earlier this week, I got the opportunity to turn a friend on to Mercyful Fate. Of course, I chose the same route I’d taken many years ago—introducing them to “A Dangerous Meeting,” from the band’s classic album, Don’t Break The Oath. And funny enough, my friend had the same reaction as I’d had: his jaw hit the floor in amazement. From the loud, trebly production, to King Diamond’s vocal performance, to Oath‘s sinister artwork, this was and still is metal embodied to its fullest. So let’s use this week’s #tbt and dig in a bit… Continue reading
Popular opinion claims that there are only two things we can be certain of–death and taxes. I, however, would argue for the addition of a third to that list–Quickies. Because here we are again, folks–as we are everyday–to deliver you links to other people’s metal sites for coverage of metal news we missed throughout the day. Like a well-oiled machine. Anyway, let’s take a look at what we missed today:
- Today happens to be the 30th anniversary of Metallica’s thrash classic, Ride the Lightning. Throughout the day, the guys at MetalSucks did tributes to different songs on the album, and they were all pretty kick-ass. Check ’em.
- In an interview on radio host Eddie Trunk’s podcast, King Diamond refused to rule out the possibility of possible Mercyful Fate reunion shows in the future. Naturally, we’re interpreting this as, GUYS THIS IS TOTALLY GONNA HAPPEN, RIGHT? PLEASE? I’LL GIVE MY FUTURE FIRST CHILD TO SATAN?!
- Speaking of tours, Primus announced one for this upcoming fall, along with a new album. Which, get this–will be an album of covers from the Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory soundtrack. No, really.
- This past week’s Billboard chart sales figures are out, and have Overkill debuting at No. 31 (their first ever Top 40 album), along with Fallujah narrowly missing the Top 100. As you may recall, both bands appeared in our Just the Tip roundup last week. Coincidence? I think. Either way, hats off to both.
- New Nachtmystium track? New Nachtmystium track! What are you waiting for?
- And finally, after sharing audio streams of their entire new album, Origins, yesterday, Eluveitie did us one better today and dropped a new video for “The Call of the Mountains.” Check it out:
That’ll do it for today. Check back tomorrow for more Horns Up stuff!
Live. Love. Plow. Horns Up.